Why does this forum require registration?

For the generic offtopic chit-chat
TheVendo

Why does this forum require registration?

Post by TheVendo »

I think it's wrong that most forums require registration.
Do administrators actually expect people to register on a forum, even if that person only has one simple question.
It's annoying. There are lots of software projects I like, and I hate that I have to register to all of their forums just to ask something.
It's even worse when there is only a mailing list, then I don't bother at all.
ironcross

Re: Why does this forum require registration?

Post by ironcross »

Every serious forum requires registration. If the people are really interested, they will register. Forum without registration = "Welcome, dear spammers! Feel free to post here your bullshits." One of the goal of the registration is to reduce the spam, and believe me - there's enough spam even with registration and two antispam protection systems. I don't wanna think what will happens without registration... :roll:
TheVendo

Post by TheVendo »

I think registering is a security risk. Who knows what the forum administrator does with all the registration data.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Depends where you register to be at risk and what personal information you perhaps write down at your profile page and even that its just an username nothing more, the only thing could be your ip but that is known from everyone. What must or could the administrator do with your information? shiki or Christophe? Come on :mrgreen: .. If that already is a ''security risk'' in your eyes then using torrents must be very dangerous I guess.

Now.. Just a few reasons:
- Name is known, just an username.
- Banning is easy if necessary.
- Less spammers (with links inside even), I think the forum would be full with guests like ironcross says :D !

Just my thoughts.
TheVendo

Post by TheVendo »

Actually I'm more concerned about risk of email address leakage.
Although the email I use when registering to forums is not my primary email, I still don't like that the administrator knows it.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

We've got THOUSANDS of spammers registering EVERY-SINGLE-DAY.
Sadly, this is the truth and there is no exaggeration in that.

There is an anti-ACP spam control installed. I get email about have to confirm accounts. About ~25-100 every day.
Some russian 'tard made a bot and they are spamming every single BB board, regardless the engine, content, whatever.

The only one who can access the SQL and details are ME. The whole database, kernel, the whole stuff is secured from every point.
GRsec kernel, custom compiled applications with own written patches, reinforcements, harden patches.

Seriously. Don't worry, your e-mail won't get out. You've got my word on that.
(And the passwords I use for admin, my own profile, are ALWAYS random generated with KeePass, using the highest possible length and strength.)
TheVendo

Post by TheVendo »

Thanks!
You seem nice. :D