Some Bugs

Windows specific questions, problems.
ciaobaby

Re: Some Bugs

Post by ciaobaby »

You can always leave the **filters** set at "ALL" then just filter by label only. The main purpose of them are as 'filters' for the task list, I'm sure there would be far more complaints if you could ONLY filter by one particular set.

Half-open and/or concurrent connections, the 'default' for Win7 on is 20 for all versions/editions, the limit of ten, five in the case of some Vista editions, was actually imposed by M$ to prevent 'desktop' versions such as "NT4 workstation, Win2k Pro, XP Pro, etc. from being used in the role of a server and because 'half-open' connections were counted as being 'active'  rather than for what they are, i.e. 'embryonic' which may or may not develop further, this artificial limit was soon reached by applications that required many 'concurrent connections' to be made and maintained.
KuroNeko

Post by KuroNeko »

but what good are half open ports , and what if i set it to disable would that change alot ?
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

They are not particularly "good" or especially 'bad', they just 'are'!

"half-open" is the term used to describe TCP connections that are "out-of sync" between two hosts for some reason,  a crash (of the remote), network dropped or connections that are started but not established, these are not the same connections that bittorrent clients make by the way, these are connections to Windows services and applications. The Wikipedia article is accurate and reasonably free from 'jargon' on the topic or you can read the RFC on TCP (RFC 793) for the more technical details.