[Solved] Speeding up my download speed

Windows specific questions, problems.
reble

[Solved] Speeding up my download speed

Post by reble »

I am running os Xp Pro with a high speed broadband internet connection.  The last download took a day and half at around 50 kb/s download speed and about 12kb/s upload speed.  File size was 8.0 gbs. upload and download limit are both set at ?  share ratio set at 0.43    connections 100.  This settings were set during the d/l.  How do I adj the settings for max download speed.

Steve
ironcross

Re: speeding up my download speed

Post by ironcross »

The download speed depends not only from your connection, but from the number of seeders too and their speeds.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

I have a fiber connection, you could give my settings a try it might improve your speeds. The default settings were not working for me either till I adjusted a few settings:

Go to options -> Connection
- Max Global Connections: 600
- Connection Limit Per Torrent: 200

Hope it helps :). Offcourse it also depends on other peers and their upload speeds.
Last edited by Nemo on Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reble

Post by reble »

There was also a lot of wasted download bites
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Did you patch your half open connections limit in xp by the way?
reble

Post by reble »

I don't understand

NeMo_O wrote
Did you patch your half open connections limit in xp by the way?
loki

Post by loki »

reble

Post by reble »

The download speed I am trying to speed up is in the Qbittorrent prog v2.8
loki

Post by loki »

Yes but... windows XP only has a very limited amount of half-open connections out of the box, hence the question of weather you have patched it or not, allowing more half-open connections could be the key to faster speeds. Changing the value in the torrent program doesn't magically change the number of half-open connections from the operating system.
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

Yes, patching tcpip.sys is a must. You really HAVE to do this when using P2P software!

Also, the proper torrent upload speed is about 80% of your total upload speed:
1) Take your total upload speed in kbits and divide it by 8 (you now have your result in kBytes).
2) Take your total upload speed in kBytes and multiply it by 0.8 (this now gives you the proper torrent upload speed of 80%).
3) Go to "Tools" > "Options..." > "Speed" and put your result in the Global Rate limits "Upload" box.