[SOLVED]qBittorent (2.8.4-1) Window NEVER launches, Ubuntu 11.10, applet does...

Linux specific questions, problems.
krack3rz

[SOLVED]qBittorent (2.8.4-1) Window NEVER launches, Ubuntu 11.10, applet does...

Post by krack3rz »

So I successfully installed the new Ubuntu 11.10 (i think),

The problem is that I logged in with unity and cairo-dock way and when I fired up qbittorrent, it showed the splash screen for about 10 sec, like always then the icon in the tray showed up and thats it. I thought hey its like before, all I gotta do is press on the tray icon with the left button and it would launch the window, except it wouldn't...

restarting doesnt work, and trying to launch from cairo cock or unity panel doesnt do anything...

My question is this: does anyone else have this problem?

Also do you think I can fix this by resetting the setting that I chose, which minimizes qbitttorrent to tray? And how/where is it...

Or did I just fail during upgrade?

BTW, I'm new :)  hello  ;D
Last edited by krack3rz on Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krack3rz

Re: [SOLVED]qBittorent (2.8.4-1) Window NEVER launches, Ubuntu 11.10, applet does...

Post by krack3rz »

So I got a work-around, it turns out to not be that hard...simple actually:

So the problem was that qBittorrents settings were set to launch it at startup in the tray, and since they remade how the tray works, you cant unminimize it from there.

Solution:
1. Launch qBittorrent if it already isnt, click on the tray, select close, a confirmation will come up (assuming you didnt set it to not do that)
    1b. make sure nothing is open on the desktop, minimize if anything is open, then relaunch qBittorrent, click on the splash (left mouse button), then hold mouse in the top left and wait for the "File", "Edit", etc to show up.

NOTE, in step 1. the same "File" etc. will come up except it wont go away so move mouse there later.

2. Go to "Tools", "Options", and deselect "Minimize on start up to tray" and other things that will minimize it to tray

3. Profit !
soundguyjon

Re: [SOLVED]qBittorent (2.8.4-1) Window NEVER launches, Ubuntu 11.10, applet does...

Post by soundguyjon »

I totally had the same issue. Minimized and couldn't re-open. Someone pointed me here and your solution helped. Though for me the menu bars didn't show up during the splash screen. Instead I clicked the notification icon > exit> then went to tools and changed the minimization settings from there. Hope this helps anyone who might not be getting the menu bars during the splash screen. And thanks so much for figuring this out man.
cobraprince

Post by cobraprince »

I've got this problem, but neither one of these solutions is working for me. I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 and qbittorrent  2.8.4. i've clicked exit and had it set to not ask me for confirmation. Any other advice?
res0r9lm

Post by res0r9lm »

you can change settings by directly editing the file ~/.config/qBittorrent/qBittorrent.conf
cobraprince

Post by cobraprince »

[quote="res0r9lm"]
you can change settings by directly editing the file ~/.config/qBittorrent/qBittorrent.conf
[/quote]
    I'd love to go this route, however I'm not computer savvy enough to find out how to launch this action or find the file and when I do find it how to edit it). More information would be great. I really can't stand any other torrent program so anything would be nice.
loki

Post by loki »

[quote="cobraprince"]
[quote="res0r9lm"]
[/quote]
    I'd love to go this route, however I'm not computer savvy enough to find out how to launch this action or find the file and when I do find it how to edit it). More information would be great. I really can't stand any other torrent program so anything would be nice.
[/quote]

It should be something like sudo gedit ~/.config/qBittorrent/qBittorrent.conf
cobraprince

Post by cobraprince »

[quote="loki"]
[quote="cobraprince"]
[quote="res0r9lm"]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Like I said before, any more info to go with this? Such as where I put that line "~/.config/qBittorrent/qBittorrent.conf" to get to the file and edit it?
loki

Post by loki »

This is very basic stuff... I didn't think it needed explaining that far. Use that text in the terminal.

If you don't know how to use linux, don't use it.
res0r9lm

Post by res0r9lm »

[quote="loki"]
[quote="cobraprince"]
[quote="res0r9lm"]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
you shouldn't have to run sudo unless our running qbittorrent as root 

nano is pretty easy to use. To save file after editing press ctrl+x 

Code: Select all

nano -w ~/.config/qBittorrent/qBittorrent.conf