UPnP/NAT-PMP: Port mapping failure

Other platforms, generic questions.
dma8hm1956

UPnP/NAT-PMP: Port mapping failure

Post by dma8hm1956 »

Hello all,

I am using qbittorrent 2.3.0 on Slackware 13.0. Although I have enabled UPnP and NAT-PMP port mapping,
I receive the following message in log viewer: {{{
03/08/2010 06:48:40 - UPnP/NAT-PMP: Port mapping failure, message: could not map port using UPnP: no router found
}}}
What is the effect of this mapping failure? Do I have to fix it? If yes, what should I do to fix it?

Thanks - Hossein
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [LINUX] UPnP/NAT-PMP: Port mapping failure

Post by Peter »

Well. If you don't open a port on your router and don't use a fix IP on your PC, then yes you have to fix it. Otherwise if you don't depend on UPnP , just open a port, fix IP for your PC, that's it.

BUT, UPnP is a good thing. You should try upgrading your router's firmware first of all to see if it fixes the problem (it usually does).
dma8hm1956

Post by dma8hm1956 »

Hello shiki,
[quote=""shiki""]Well. If you don't open a port on your router and don't use a fix IP on your PC, then yes you have to fix it. [/quote]
I think I don't use a fix IP because I am using ADSL modem to connect to internet.
How can I fix "UPnP/NAT-PMP: Port mapping failure" in qbittorrent?
[quote=""shiki""]Otherwise if you don't depend on UPnP , just open a port, fix IP for your PC, that's it.[/quote]
How to check if I am dependent on UPnP in qbittorrent?
Thanks - Hossein
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

If you simply use just an ADSL modem and connect with PPPoE for example, you simply don't need UPnP. Just disable it. It's a technology for easy and secure port-forwarding on routers.

Let's say you launch qBittorrent and have a UPnP router.
You have set your port to 12345. After the client is up and running, it asks the router to open THAT port to YOUR PC and for THIS application. Once you quit, the UPnP port openings are gone. That's why is it safe, because you don't keep open ports up all-the-time. And easy because you don't have to mess with router settings.

But these are ..again.. needed only if you use a router.