qBittorrent 2.9.2 I/O error on marking files as "Do not download"

Linux specific questions, problems.
ffuck

qBittorrent 2.9.2 I/O error on marking files as "Do not download"

Post by ffuck »

Hello, I just wanted to know what's the way qBittorrent handles unwanted files, because for instance if I have three episodes of one show and I mark the priority of one as "Do not Download" I assume it's safe to delete the file from my disk, but if I do so sometimes I get an I/O error followed by "<filename> error: No such file or directory" and the download gets paused and I have to start it again.

A second thing, and I guess this is more a suggestion, is to reconsider the way those files are saved in the .unwanted folder, I guess you create those files there just in case the person decides to continue downloading the files after marking them as "Don't download", but it could take quite a lot of space, so I'd like if that behaviour could be optional and have an option in the settings along the lines of "Preserve uncomplete unwanted files".

Other than that I really like this software :)
ffuck

Re: qBittorrent 2.9.2 I/O error on marking files as "Do not download"

Post by ffuck »

I have some other issues, they might be related to a problem I'm having where my computer just randomly stops working and I have to restart it.
The thing is sometimes when I start qBittorrent I find all the files at 0% and they need to be checked again, and sometimes it's even worse because all files are marked to download, and that's a problem since I have less than 20GB of space and I sometimes need to download only one or two files from a really big torrent (we're talking 50GB big) and then suddenly all the files are marked to download, and if I mark them later as "Don't download" they'll remain in my hard drive, and deleting them manually will only lead to the I/O error mentioned in my previous post (see above).
As I said, this might be related to my computer crashing all the time, maybe each time it crashes qBittorrent has to check all the files again and it loses its configuration file, hopefully that crashing problem has been solved so I'll wait and see what happens, but I still think the developers should take a look into that I/O error and the way those files marked as "Don't download" should be kept.

Thanks.
ironcross

Post by ironcross »

Sounds like you have a hardware problem...
ffuck

Post by ffuck »

[quote="ironcross"]
Sounds like you have a hardware problem...
[/quote]

Yes, it's probably the reason why sometimes the files I tell qBittorrent not to download get downloaded. However I still think that there's some issues about the way how the files you mark as "Do not download" are kept in the hard drive. If I recall correctly, other torrent programs just delete the files when you do it, and that's better -at least in my opinion- than keeping the files in disc.
For example, I might get a torrent with 100 videos, and I might download 10  each time, watch them and select two or three and decide I'm not going to keep the others. So I mark them as "Do not download" and I assume it's safe to remove the files from disk because they're not going to be downloaded or treated, so I go to the folder and delete those files I marked. But then after a few minutes qBittorrent would say that it can't find the files and the torrent is paused automatically. Well if I marked the files as "Do not download", why would you need the files for?
loki

Post by loki »

If you do that, I think the proper procedure is to pause the active torrent, delete the file/s, mark them as "Do not download," recheck the torrent, then continue seeding.

The problem is in the fact that the torrent pieces may (usually) lie across multiple files and when you delete a piece from a torrent you completed it still thinks that piece is available.

qB probably does handle this situation less than gracefully, by automatically pausing a torrent that has an error.
douglaszxc

Post by douglaszxc »

I had the same probs with an underpowered laptop with a dinky HD. Sometimes I'd have to move the files from one dinky partition to another.

Solution: I upgraded the laptop. But.... I still get an occasional I/O error, it seems to resolve itself after the I/O error boxes get done with with their bitching.

Something needs looking into in that dept.