qB 4.x - Run external program on completion no longer working

Windows specific questions, problems.
AnthonyB

qB 4.x - Run external program on completion no longer working

Post by AnthonyB »

Issue raised in GitHub - https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/7800
Posting here as well for community awareness.
I'm running Windows 10 x64 version 1709 (OS Build 16299.64) and x64 version of qBittorrent 4.0.1

The command as per qB UI:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe" x -r -inul -ibck "%F\*.r*" "%F\"
What results in the logfile:

(N) 2017-11-22T14:23:10 - Torrent: DCs.Legends.of.Tomorrow.S03E07.HDTV.x264-KILLERS, running external program, command: "C:/Program Files/WinRAR/WinRAR.exe" x -r -inul -ibck "D:\Downloads\DCs.Legends.of.Tomorrow.S03E07.HDTV.x264-KILLERS/*.r*" "D:\Downloads\DCs.Legends.of.Tomorrow.S03E07.HDTV.x264-KILLERS/"
Now, in Qt 3.x the same show (prev ep.) looked like this:

(N) 2017-11-15T14:20:29 - Torrent: DCs.Legends.of.Tomorrow.S03E06.HDTV.x264-KILLERS, running external program, command: "C:/Program Files/WinRAR/WinRAR.exe" x -r -inul -ibck "D:\Downloads\DCs.Legends.of.Tomorrow.S03E06.HDTV.x264-KILLERS/*.r*" "D:\Downloads\DCs.Legends.of.Tomorrow.S03E06.HDTV.x264-KILLERS/"
So there is no difference in the syntax as logged (and despite the fact that QT seems to have always arbitrarily switched forward and back-slash) but it simply is no longer working with 4.0.x

EDIT: Edited title as there looked to be a solution (all lower case characters) but subsequent testing with 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 showed that solution when from semi-reliable to 100% not reliable.. for me anyway.
Last edited by AnthonyB on Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
labtopia

Re: qB 4.x - Run external program on completion no longer working

Post by labtopia »

you know i had the same problem with run program and also directory setup paths.

even though C or D should work, i changed them to c or d (lowercase) and my bat file now runs.  I run a bat file for amcgroovy via filebot.

also on paths it didnt validate directory paths with a \ on the end of them.

hope that helps, it did for me.

dave
AnthonyB

Post by AnthonyB »

[quote="labtopia"]
you know i had the same problem with run program and also directory setup paths.

even though C or D should work, i changed them to c or d (lowercase) and my bat file now runs.  I run a bat file for amcgroovy via filebot.

also on paths it didnt validate directory paths with a \ on the end of them.
[/quote]

I have always found the directory validation logic faulty and even when the logic 'failed', the command still worked.

Here is what I get currently:

'"c:' does not exist

Given the way qB seems to turn backslash into forwardslash in the execution (see log files in my first post), I suspect the validation logic is equally flawed and cannot handle backslash.

Anyway, I've converted all characters in the path to lowercase and I'll see if it makes any difference, but I doubt it will as this was working fine (well, 90% reliably) in qB 3.x and is now failing 100% in qB 4.0.x
Last edited by AnthonyB on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnthonyB

Post by AnthonyB »

[quote="labtopia"]
[/quote]

Well I'll be damned - it worked for me as well..!?!?!

So compared to above log file excerpts where it failed, there is no difference I can see:

(N) 2017-11-23T15:07:05 - Torrent: Mr.Robot.S03E07.HDTV.x264-SVA, running external program, command: "c:/program files/winrar/winrar.exe" x -r -inul -ibck "D:\Downloads\Mr.Robot.S03E07.HDTV.x264-SVA/*.r*" "D:\Downloads\Mr.Robot.S03E07.HDTV.x264-SVA/"
The backslash convert to forwardslash stuff still occurs the same but for some reason it worked when I converted all uppercase characters in the command-line to lowercase.

I can only assume some weird internal funkiness in the libraries used in qB..

Hopefully something the devs can fix easily?
AnthonyB

Re: qB 4.x - Run external program on completion no longer working (and solution)

Post by AnthonyB »

After observing results for a few more days, I should qualify that the command is working about 50% of the time.

No issue recorded in the log, but then, it is only recording the steps taken, not the results. I'm at a bit of a loss to understand how the command can work 'some of the time' but given the other oddities going on here, I'm not entirely surprised.
vit5421

Post by vit5421 »

I have the same issue. Do you know any working solution?
AnthonyB

Post by AnthonyB »

[quote="vit5421"]
I have the same issue. Do you know any working solution?
[/quote]

Nope.

It works maybe 1 in 10 times for me which makes no sense. The bug has been assigned to a dev so hopefully it will get at least looked at sometime soon..
AnthonyB

Post by AnthonyB »

Seems we might have some joy in next release.

Commit 29 Dec 2017
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorr ... 5df94f6a29
Merge pull request #7878 from Chocobo1/runExt
Revert "Run external program" function.

I'm interpreting this as 'go back to the code that was working in qB 3.x' but I guess we'll find out soon!
vit5421

Post by vit5421 »

New update 4.0.4 and its still not fixed
labtopia

Post by labtopia »

YEAH, not working for me either...

dave
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Same happening for me now. Though for me it was working perfectly until i updated to 4.0.4.

Then it just stopped working. The execution logs ok and i cant see any difference to before but it doesnt seem to actually run the external command.
Synk556

Post by Synk556 »

[quote="Winnie"]
Same happening for me now. Though for me it was working perfectly until i updated to 4.0.4.

Then it just stopped working. The execution logs ok and i cant see any difference to before but it doesnt seem to actually run the external command.
[/quote]

I'm having this issue and it's driving me nuts.  Do you mind telling me what version you were using that it worked in? Imma downgrade.  Thanks.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

I think it must have been 4.0.3 that i was running. It was working until i installed 4.0.4 and i dont think i skipped any versions.
raggy5446

Post by raggy5446 »

Hi All. Same issue.

What I have is "c:\Program Files\MKVToolNix\mkvpropedit.exe" -d title "c:\Users\my_name\Videos\%N".

In the log: (N) 2018-07-24T11:16:09 - Torrent: torrent_name.mkv, running external program, command: "c:\Program Files\MKVToolNix\mkvpropedit.exe" -d title "c:\Users\my_name\Videos\ torrent_name.mkv". This does not seem to work.

However, if I run the following command in the comand promt, it works: "c:\Program Files\MKVToolNix\mkvpropedit.exe" -d title "c:\Users\my_name\Videos\torrent_name.mkv".