streaming torrent support

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
mysoogals

streaming torrent support

Post by mysoogals »

can you please add streaming support, i do not trust utorrent anymore :geek: i can't leave it until i find a suitable streaming bit-torrent client.

utorrent enables torrent streaming using videolan and it works great but i just do not trust utorrent anymore
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: streaming torrent support

Post by Peter »

This would be a huge task to accomplish. Their implementation is still in alpha so it won't be that easy. Also, I don't know what it takes.. if you think about it, you would have to change the libtorrent-rasterbar's behaviour to support this.. for first. Then you need something to uncompress stuff when it gets down, so if possible fetch .rar, .r00, .r01 if we talk about FTP stuff (of course, legal documentary movies).

And then maybe some another enormous coding to enable this streaming part.

Sadly uTorrent got some huuuuge advantage. They got a lot of people, tons of money and an incredible amount of experience. The latest is the most worthy here, but one shouldn't forget about the other stuff also. Open-source projects got this problem always. They are not for profit, they make no money. So why would an experienced help out with it?... (There is no answer as you can see the other dying projects.. :))
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Does qBittorrent need this kind of streaming stuff? A big No. If you wanna watch movies or other sort of streaming programs/movies then torrenting isnt the right thing to do so, not saying it isn't possible actually it is but not handy. For me its enough if it can download torrents, nice options etc. and for this moment it is one of the best, keep it this way ;). My opinion though; I watch streaming programs/movies IF need from various sites on the net which is easier most of the time.
mysoogals

Post by mysoogals »

sorry for late replies, found out a while back that tribler is developing the very thing i was after, just let you guys know that also Swarm Player is able to stream torrents and enable torrents to be embedded into html etc users can stream torrents. good example would be torstream.com

anyways thanks for your help
chinoto

Post by chinoto »

I was going to make my own thread, but I'll just hijack this one since the title matches what I'm proposing  <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->
You can get pseudo-streaming by setting your client to download sequentially and playing the video via VLC, which works perfectly for me if I download faster than I watch, but that is to be expected from any streaming video method. Unfortunately purely sequential downloading is a burden on seeds and other peers, while slowing down your own speed because you are being too selective. To solve this I proposed a BEP awhile ago, please take a look at it so I can get some feedback.
Preventing Sequential Leechers from being a burden (URL: http://forum.bittorrent.org/viewtopic.php?id=406)
@Shiki Archiving/compressing videos in torrents isn't very common (at least the ones I download) because videos are already compressed and you need to keep the archive until the video is extracted (wastes space and annoys the user). So a workaround to get video to play from a partially downloaded archive wont benefit many users anyway.
Last edited by chinoto on Thu May 17, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slacka

Post by slacka »

[quote="chinoto"]
You can get pseudo-streaming by setting your client to download sequentially and playing the video via VLC, which works perfectly for me if I download faster than I watch, but that is to be expected from any streaming video method. Unfortunately purely sequential downloading is a burden on seeds and other peers, while slowing down your own speed because you are being too selective. To solve this I proposed a BEP awhile ago, please take a look at it so I can get some feedback.
[url=http://forum.bittorrent.org/viewtopic.php?id=406]Preventing Sequential Leechers from being a burden
[/quote]
It would be a nice optional feature for qBittorrent to use the piece_deadline function to create a streaming buffer as described here:
http://code.google.com/p/libtorrent/iss ... 6&sort=-id
This would be better for the health of the torrent, while still allowing streaming of well seeded media torrents.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

@Slacka: Create a new ticket on the bugtracker please.
@Chinoto: You could make a new thread with the HOWTO though. :)

(I was thinking of having a new "Stickies" section and then making ONE sticky thread which could be seen everywhere (or in the news?) where I would list all them categorised and everything.)
qbuser

Post by qbuser »

Streaming a torrent video is already possible; just not directly.

For this instruction, we assume the name of the torrent video we want to stream is "Big Buck Bunny".

How to Stream a Torrent Video Using qBittorrent:
  1. Immediately after the "Big Buck Bunny" torrent starts downloading, right click on the torrent named "Big Buck Bunny".  A pop-up menu will appear.  Click on the option labeled ""Download in sequential order".
  2. Click the button labeled "General" at the bottom of the qBittorrent window.  Check the "Availability:" bar to be sure that 100% of the torrent data is available.  Wait for the file to download until the "Downloaded:" progress bar is at least 5% solid blue with no white or green stripes on the left-hand side of the bar.  The time required for the "Downloaded:" progress bar to fill the left-most 5% in solid blue will vary with the size of the file, and the speed of the download.  Generally speaking, the larger the file, the more time will be required to download enough data that the video can be streamed without problems.
  3. Right click on the torrent named "Big Buck Bunny".  A pop-up menu will appear.  Click on the option labeled "Open destination folder".  A file manager window will open that contains the unfinished download of the video named "Big Buck Bunny".  Open the video "Big Buck Bunny" using a video player like SMPlayer, SMplayer2, KMPlayer, MPlayer, Kaffine, Xine, or VLC Media Player.  There a probably other video player that will also work.
  4. The video will begin to play.  :)
This does not work for all videos, yet does work for most.  Some MP4 videos will not stream until the file completes downloading.
Onemoar

Post by Onemoar »

streaming is bad for the swarm I vote NO
go download utorrent if you want to screw up the torrent for EVERYONE ELSE