Correct way to Upgrade to New Version without Losing Current Active Torrents ?

Windows specific questions, problems.
FloodTheWaves

Correct way to Upgrade to New Version without Losing Current Active Torrents ?

Post by FloodTheWaves »

Hello,

I was hoping someone could tell me the correct way to upgrade to the latest version of qBittorent - so that I don't lose or mess up my current active Torrents?

I've never done anything like this before (with a Torrent Program with active Torrents) that wasn't an auto update so I'm a little nervous about messing it up.

This is for Windows 11 Pro 64 bit with a new 12700K system etc...

I do want to upgrade because I currently have 4.4.1 and it's kind of annoying it doesn't show the download percentage; and hoping there are other improvements too etc.

I would also love it if someone could explain some of the download options for the qBittorent installers... I find the different versions and the differences kind of confusing.

Don't dumb it down too much - but if you could simplify the explanation first - that would be somewhere to start, then more detail on top?

So I know I want the 64 bit installer - that's a given....

Should I use the "Semi-experimental version based on Qt6" and what exactly does that mean in reality?

Does that just mean it's the current Beta and the Qt6 is just the latest 'build' their working... or is the latter some other better architecture that makes that version better than the normal stable/official release?

Or is it about something else entirely?

I assume it might be best to use the Beta - unless I run into any really bad glitches?

And I kind of get the idea of the Checksum - SHA2-256 kinda stuff but that's a little confusing too?

Some explanation and better/simpler instructions on how to do that would be great too.

"The Public Key for PGP Signing" thing too - same questions?

I hope some one else will find the answers to this thread useful too!

Thank you for your help.

Flood.