No clue how to start this...? µtorrent 1.8 on steroids!

mistaknly

No clue how to start this...? µtorrent 1.8 on steroids!

Post by mistaknly »

All I can say is wow!

I accidentally found aBittorrent somewhere on a forum or tech site while I was testing µtorrent 3.3 Alpha vs µtorrent 2.2.1. I haven't been able to use any other µtorrent 3.xxx version because of the famous "disk overload" issue (since I've got an old P4 machine).

I did a lot of heavy duty testing with both public and private trackers looking at throughput, cpu load and custom bandwidth management capability.

It turns out that 3.3 Alpha is pretty good at "self" bandwidth management and maximizing throughput with the intent of optimizing upload especially with private trackers because of ratios. But you have to babysit it a lot with customizations since several features of µtorrent (both 2 and 3) with regards to [high-normal-low] bandwidth options have little if any impact. So you have to "hand limit" some to preserve BW for those that need it.

Also, all the strains of 3.xx and including 3.3 Alpha use quite a bit of cpu, whereas 2.21 and lower have low cpu utilization.  Also, 3.3 Alpha is very disk efficient (see below**).

Well, anyway, I then found qBittorrent and sat on it for a day or so since I was in the middle of a >20GB leech that also requires a 1.5 ratio.  :'(

But the main seed was dropping out continually and eventually was gone leaving about 18 leechers with 70% and who could hardly connect to each other.  So I bit the bullet and installed qBittorent and transferred that one torrent to it.

** Let me say that it takes forever to check large files with qBittorent while running around 30% cpu. [However this is only an issue when you are converting from another client with active files.]

So after some lengthy period of checking I finally got the file started.

And WOW!!

It "immediately" found the tracker and downloaded the list of peers and started connecting and transferring.  No version of µtorrent does that as fast.

qBittorrent also manages flakey connections quite well.  I holds them longer and reconnects faster and gets them into the picture.

qBittorrent also runs around 1.2% to 3% and sometimes when loaded and gets really busy it can go up to 6%. This is compared to a regular rate of around 10-11% for µT 2.2.1 and 30% for µT 3.3.  So that's great.

So after running the "one" big file overnight I went ahead and transferred the rest of my private seeds (about 11) and a couple of incomplete files over to qB.  I was amazed out how qB was just as efficient as µT 3.3 while using so little cpu.  qB was really managing both uTP and BT connections and maximizing my upload speed while successfully negotiating with peers in China, Turkey, Russia, Vietnam, Brazil and the usual NA and EU suspects, all using Azureus, Xunlei, BT, Vuze, µT of various flavors and versions. And I like how your country flag column actually works.

The end result is that the file completed and appeared to be instrumental in helping other clients complete as well.  It only took less than 2 days to finish the other 30%.  The first 70% took 23 days.

So I've been very lucky to find qBittorrent at the 3.06 stage (with uTP support). It solves lots of problems while NOT creating others.  BTW, the ipfilter.dat stuff works fine as well. I'm going to try super seeding mode to see what that does.

So congratulations to the dev(s) (Christophe?) and the rest of the team.  You've done a wonderful job!

I'm definitely a convert.

Thanks
ironcross

Re: No clue how to start this...? µtorrent 1.8 on steroids!

Post by ironcross »

Hello, welcome and happy torrenting with qBittorrent :)
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: No clue how to start this...? µtorrent 1.8 on steroids!

Post by Nemo »

Welcome indeed :)!