4.5.0 color scheme is... ugh

Windows specific questions, problems.
hazardass

4.5.0 color scheme is... ugh

Post by hazardass »

First of all, I love qB and I've been using it for a long time. I appreciate the continued development and I wouldn't replace qB with anything. You guys rock!

I'm not one of those people who hate change, in general. Change can be good, as long as it's an improvement.

The new color scheme is absolutely killing my eyes because of the low contrast! The colors are so pale that everything just starts to look like a blur after a short while. The light azure on inactive seeding torrents is probably the worst offender because it starts to make me dizzy in just a few seconds. The slightly darker azure on active seeding torrents makes things worse by being almost identical to the light azure version, which makes it difficult to tell the active ones from the inactive. Even the light grey for paused torrents isn't contrasted enough from the rest of the colors.

I'll be using version 4.4.5 for the time being since I've had no issues with it. Hopefully I can keep using it in the future.

I wouldn't be complaining about this if there was an easy way for a dummy like me to configure colors. :) I looked in the settings but didn't find anything there. I looked on the wiki and found some cryptic stuff on creating themes, which is way beyond a general user like myself who just wants to download things and knows how to click on buttons to change settings. If anyone can provide me with exact detailed steps to change a color, I will gladly give that a try, but I just don't have time or desire to go through an entire college-level course on qt stylesheets or whatever the UI creation is called.

I also remembered that several years ago Sledgehammer_999 polled the community on a proposed color scheme and users were suggesting changes. I found it pretty amazing that the developer was so open to suggestions, and that was a major reason I stuck with qB. I think we've been using those same colors since then. Until this new version.
I went back and saw that sledgehammer even created some 'hack' file called colors.txt that made it easy for users to change colors, but that was only provided temporarily for testing purposes and got removed. I would love to have something like that...
viewtopic.php?t=2509&start=60

Thanks for reading!
enioentity

Re: 4.5.0 color scheme is... ugh

Post by enioentity »

That was my sentiment also! I really like qbittorent but the new color scheme is god awfull, everything blends together and is hard to read and hurt eyes!
festisio

Post by festisio »

Agreed. Love the app, much respect for making it for us all, but the light blue text colour is very uncomfortable and I had to revert to an earlier version.

Peace.
darkknight145

Post by darkknight145 »

I agree! when I first saw it I checked the Calendar to make sure it wasn't April the 1st, I also have gone back to 4.4.5
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Please, only one of you open a ticket, then link it here, and others can comment there, share their opinion.
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues

There is a related commit that went through though.:
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/pull/18094

I found a few open issues btw:
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/18078
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/18081

Ps.: I swear I didn't even notice any changes, except the icons, but I switched to qt6/lt20 builds on all machines.
duf666

Post by duf666 »

Hi,
Another thing I'd like to ask:
Previously a non-active seeding torrent was black, when active it was blue.
Now it's blue all the time...
Is there a settings somewhere ?
GGRFH

Post by GGRFH »

I'm assuming all the devs have dark theme windows and it been colour coded for that that's why it looks ok in a dark theme but not so good in a light one

my main problem is as duf666 said the active uploads are the same colour as the non uploading ones
anyway I'm back on 4.4.5

as there are 3rd party themes written for qbit why cant we have a built in choice of light and dark, you did it for the tray icon when windows 10? moved to all black icons
Hellboy3

Post by Hellboy3 »

You can fix all your problems with this. Enjoy.

witalihirsch/qBitTorrent-fluent-theme
https://github.com/witalihirsch/qBitTor ... uent-theme
https://www.reddit.com/r/qBittorrent/co ... 11_design/
Gripweed107

Post by Gripweed107 »

I think it is wonderful that some individuals have taken the time to make various themes for gBittorrent and placed them here and elsewhere. I see a lot of good theme ideas but none that I've seen are totally what I'm looking for. In most cases if a very minor change were made, I could declare a theme the one for me. By minor I mean something simple like using a lighter/brighter character color or even a slightly larger font (my eyes aren't getting any better as I age). Some themes have this but they are lacking in some other ways. So, what I'm looking for is an editor specifically for doing Qbittorrent themes. Admittedly, at this point, I've only done a very brief search on Google and Github and have yet to find an editor that fits the bill. Could someone point me in the direction of a simple editor where I could make a few minor changes to an existing Qbittorrent theme? Thank you.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

GGRFH wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:19 pm I'm assuming all the devs have dark theme windows and it been colour coded for that that's why it looks ok in a dark theme but not so good in a light one
It's more complicated than that. But the issue is being fixed, I'd expect a 4.5.1 version any day/moment now.
lys

Post by lys »

sorry to say, but... it looks like a kids first attempt at an app. my first thought was "NOOO! why?? just why would you change that clean looking app into.. uhm.. THAT??"
I even registered to the forum to say it, which I never do..
thank you for your hard work, really. but please: change it back, it looks horrible.
hazardass

Post by hazardass »

I'd like to say, I don't know why they did these color changes, maybe they had a good reason to, I dunno. I'm sure the good devs will do their best to undo/fix the bad color palette. I just worry that we'll be back to the same place later down the line. I think the best approach, long term, would be to implement something like what sledgehammer did years ago that enabled users to customize colors to their taste. (Perhaps it shouldn't be that difficult if it's been done once already?) I'm saying this with all the good intentions in the world, and I'm grateful for your hard work! ^-^

P.s. I know that most of the effort is focused on making things work internally, things that most users don't think about cuz we just know how to click on "download" and expect things to work. This is just a reminder to myself and the other users because we do take things for granted sometimes, and we may complain about things that the devs find less important. So please don't feel like your efforts are not appreciated. :))
TomSwiftSenior

Post by TomSwiftSenior »

I posted about this elsewhere because I am new to this board and wasn't sure where to make my comment; I only joined because of this badly-done change of text colors:
viewtopic.php?t=10522
-----
I just installed v.4.5.0 and all the text of the various torrents changed to the same light blue color -- which I think in itself is not that easy to read.

In previous versions, the text would be of different colors depending on the status of the torrent. I found this to be extremely useful.

There are symbols in front of the torrents indicating their status, but they really do NOT stand out -- and certainly are NOT as obvious and easy to see as was the different colors of the text of the torrents themselves. :(

Are there settings to change the torrents' text colors depending on the status of the torrents are, which was the standard BEFORE this 4.5.0 version.

THANK YOU!

-----
Really, I think this change of color was a very poor decision and one that makes little sense.
I truly hope it is changed back to what it was or something similar *very* soon.
Gribnitz

Post by Gribnitz »

Agree. It is terrible.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Peter wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:22 am
GGRFH wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:19 pm I'm assuming all the devs have dark theme windows and it been colour coded for that that's why it looks ok in a dark theme but not so good in a light one
It's more complicated than that. But the issue is being fixed, I'd expect a 4.5.1 version any day/moment now.
I'll just quote myself here. :p