4.5.0 color scheme is... ugh

Windows specific questions, problems.
Gripweed107

Re: 4.5.0 color scheme is... ugh

Post by Gripweed107 »

Peter wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:22 pm I'll just quote myself here. :p
Peter, since you quoted yourself, I'll quote myself.
Gripweed107 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:34 am Could someone point me in the direction of a simple editor where I could make a few minor changes to an existing Qbittorrent theme? Thank you.
This goes beyond the base 4.5.0 color scheme that you say will be fixed shortly in 4.5.1. Do you (or anyone else reading this) know of such an editor? If such an editor does not exist, I encourage the QBittorrent Team or some other talented individual to make one up.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

You can simply open the source and change the colors to whatever you'd like. You just need to set up an environment to build qBittorrent, either on your own PC, or in a virtual machine. Or, you can even use Github to build it, but that's even more tedious in my opinion.

The file you need: src/gui/color.h
And it uses QColor: https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/qcolor.html

You can edit it with a text editor even.

To compile, open this page: https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/wiki
Scroll down and see the section for your platform.
Gripweed107

Post by Gripweed107 »

Peter, Peter, Peter...
I didn't realize you were such a comedian. :) I guess what you are trying to say is that there is no such simple editor.
I know enough not to shoot the messenger so I'm not blaming you but having to do all that just to change a color from red to green or whatever one might want to do is just bonkers. I had read all that in the wiki before and I thought it was just listed there for the developer types that like to fork things. Never did I conceive that they were expecting the common user to rewrite and compile source code to make such simple changes. SMH
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Gripweed107 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:15 pm Never did I conceive that they were expecting the common user to rewrite and compile source code to make such simple changes. SMH
Well, no, I mean... the default color scheme should "just work". Which it did, except for the 4.5.0 version. But the fix is coming. You can also use theme files with qBittorrent (but I am unsure if they change ALL the colors), see:
Hellboy3 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:29 pm You can fix all your problems with this. Enjoy.

witalihirsch/qBitTorrent-fluent-theme
https://github.com/witalihirsch/qBitTor ... uent-theme
https://www.reddit.com/r/qBittorrent/co ... 11_design/
I never messed with theme files because I never felt the need to. I liked how it looks, 4.5.0 looks good to me, meh. But I'm not the one who did the colors so don't point the pitchforks at me pls. I am just "ok with it", looks fine to me.
hazardass

Post by hazardass »

Hey Peter,
I know you already said that the colors will be fixed in the next version, which is much appreciated!
Did you see the old thread by sledgehammer I was talking about earlier, where he posted a version of qB with a color customization file? viewtopic.php?p=14715#p14715

Would something like this be possible to include in a future version?

Thanks!
Zoloft

Post by Zoloft »

So, I was finally home, in front of the computer while nothing was actively being transferred. I battened down the hatches, and prepared for the worst while I updated to 4.5.0. I knew I was going to hate it, based on this thread alone. Christ almighty, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the colors. I was expecting my eyes to burn out of my skull the way people were complaining. Instead, I have an up to date client with a slightly different feel, that I'm sure I'll be perfectly used to in a day or so. Wow. No accounting for taste, I guess.
Skram

Post by Skram »

lys wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:25 am sorry to say, but... it looks like a kids first attempt at an app. my first thought was "NOOO! why?? just why would you change that clean looking app into.. uhm.. THAT??"
I even registered to the forum to say it, which I never do..
thank you for your hard work, really. but please: change it back, it looks horrible.
Me too! I just registered so I could rant on the colours! The new Froot Loops UI! Or, The new Fruity PEBBLES interface! Now with bloat!

For some reason for me after "upgrading" to 4.5 I have a 13 second pause after I click the Download button when I copy in a mag link until it displays the files. Almost every time, but sometimes it's fast. I upgraded down to 4.4.5 and now it's back to instant display again.

It's just like Microsoft, never upgrade because it's there. Upgrade if it's broke.
Skram

Post by Skram »

Zoloft wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:12 am So, I was finally home, in front of the computer while nothing was actively being transferred. I battened down the hatches, and prepared for the worst while I updated to 4.5.0. I knew I was going to hate it, based on this thread alone. Christ almighty, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the colors. I was expecting my eyes to burn out of my skull the way people were complaining. Instead, I have an up to date client with a slightly different feel, that I'm sure I'll be perfectly used to in a day or so. Wow. No accounting for taste, I guess.
Any intuitive visual interface should not take "a day or so" to be "perfectly used to".
Zoloft

Post by Zoloft »

Skram wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:47 am
Zoloft wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:12 am So, I was finally home, in front of the computer while nothing was actively being transferred. I battened down the hatches, and prepared for the worst while I updated to 4.5.0. I knew I was going to hate it, based on this thread alone. Christ almighty, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the colors. I was expecting my eyes to burn out of my skull the way people were complaining. Instead, I have an up to date client with a slightly different feel, that I'm sure I'll be perfectly used to in a day or so. Wow. No accounting for taste, I guess.
Any intuitive visual interface should not take "a day or so" to be "perfectly used to".
When you used ANYTHING for years, and it suddenly changes, even slightly, for better or worse, it will take most people a bit of time to get used to, simply because it's not what we are used to.
hazardass

Post by hazardass »

Zoloft wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:53 pm When you used ANYTHING for years, and it suddenly changes, even slightly, for better or worse, it will take most people a bit of time to get used to, simply because it's not what we are used to.
You're wrong. I use qB a lot on a daily basis, and I've been looking at the new colors since the release. It's been almost 2 weeks and I dislike the colors as much as the first day.
There is enough user feedback here and on github to suggest that this is not just a case of people being uncomfortable with change in general, and also the change is not 'slight' but pretty significant. Most people who've commented against the new colors have described pretty much the same exact issue with the bright colors and low contrast. That's pretty specific and telling. As I pointed out in my original post, personally I'm fine with change, as long as it's an improvement, or at the very least not a regression. I've been happy with lots of programs improving their UI, so that proves your broad generalization wrong. Yes, some people like yourself will be OK with the new colors. People's eyes dont all work the same, so you don't necessarily see what others see.
I'm sure I could get used to prison food too, but that doesn't mean it's good. ;)
mbs

Post by mbs »

I also hated the new icons and colors in 4.5 enough to downgrade. I thought the double-chevron icons replacing the clearer up and down arrows, the hamburger menu icon replacing the folder icon for categories, and the less-legible grey on white default text for stopped torrents all felt intolerable. The amount of room the new icons take up also gives me a 'cartoonish'/'amateur app' feel as others mentioned. I did like the new 'luggage tag' icon for tags.
bbeuchaw

Post by bbeuchaw »

The most important thing that changed that I (and a lot of other people, probably) think is bad is that there's no differentiation between an inactive and active seeding torrent now - they're both blue. Should have stayed the way it was - each state has its own color (actively downloading - green, error - red, actively seeding - blue, just sitting there - black, etc.). Actively seeding and inactively seeding are *not* the same state and should not be the same color.
duf666

Post by duf666 »

bbeuchaw wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:50 am The most important thing that changed that I (and a lot of other people, probably) think is bad is that there's no differentiation between an inactive and active seeding torrent now - they're both blue. Should have stayed the way it was - each state has its own color (actively downloading - green, error - red, actively seeding - blue, just sitting there - black, etc.). Actively seeding and inactively seeding are *not* the same state and should not be the same color.
A BIG +1 !

Hoping this will be solved with the 4.5.1 version...
TomSwiftSenior

Post by TomSwiftSenior »

SO?
Is this color problem going to be resolved in a future update?
And is there a rough estimate on *when* that new update might be come available?
Thanks!

--TSS
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

TomSwiftSenior wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:29 pmIs this color problem going to be resolved in a future update?
Yes.
And is there a rough estimate on *when* that new update might be come available?
"Soon."