phpBB Sort Function

For the generic offtopic chit-chat
dec

phpBB Sort Function

Post by dec »

not sure this is the right Forum, but i can't find any other one suitabe

simple question

WHERE IS THE TOPIC SORT FUNCTION?

and what order ARE all the Topics sorted in? certainly no order that makes any sense.

thank you
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: phpBB Sort Function

Post by Peter »

dec wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:15 pm WHERE IS THE TOPIC SORT FUNCTION?
ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=view

Good luck! :)
dec

Post by dec »

Peter wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:04 pm
Noted. TY.

1. and why not a Sort drop-down menu/s for both Topics and Posts??? duh. all these technophiles, and you can't even get a simple critical user/UI function like that sorted (pun intended)

2. and the Sort options hidden are also quite dysfunctional. doesn't anyone here know how to design an easy to use & understand, and highly functional, UI? or is it somehow 'cool' to make it as clunky and difficult as possible?

3. and of course, just what you need on a tech Forum - NO way to upload screenshots, let alone anything else.

so i can't actually SHOW you the screen shots of what is missing or needs fixing. no-one has ever heard of the ancient and perceptive saying - 'a picture is worth a thousand words? No, you would rather everyone has to write a thousand words, and STILL have the possibility of being misunderstood.

so back to 2. above.

in fact, looking at all this, and Quick Links' option, the simplest and most user friendly fix/enhancement would be to have a simple drop-down TOOLBAR across the top that enables both easy access to the various sort and select/search options AND much greater flexibility & functionality by being able to select eg My Post for the 'Last Month', etc etc etc. is that too difficult a concept?

gee, fellas, i could show you a screenshot of a whole design mock-up, but, you know, something is stopping me.

kind regards

don
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

dec wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:35 am
Peter wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:04 pm
gee, fellas, i could show you a screenshot of a whole design mock-up, but, you know, something is stopping me.
We have nothing to do with PhpBB.
Feel free to register on their forum and post your feedback: https://www.phpbb.com/

We used SMF before which felt better but development seized so we had to switch. And there is just nothing else out there. Discourse is actively developed but it's completely different. It is what it is. For what we use it for, it works great. People find solutions via Google or searching here, can ask questions, etc.
dec

Post by dec »

Thanks Peter.

The reality is it is not important to me as i do not spend much time here: i just hate hate hatr dysfunctional inadequate app and UI design - which i pretty much see everywhere
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

I mean, you can use Linux or BSD, where you can find many "old-style" GUIs and software and it runs great on modern hardware. They are keeping alive things like KDE3 (KDE Trinity), Gnome 2 (Mate), Cinnamon (old style UI), but there are also things like Fluxbox, Openbox, or tiling wms, etc. There are sooo many choices there. And you can just run a modern browser on top and there, comfy computing.