Tagging vs Categories.

Windows specific questions, problems.
Vectraat

Tagging vs Categories.

Post by Vectraat »

What's the difference between the two?

What would I use tags and categories for?

Tags kinda seem like labels to me.

I notice that when I tag a torrent if I click on the "Tag" category I can make the arrow go up or down. What's that about?
TenOC

Re: Tagging vs Categories.

Post by TenOC »

I do not use tags.  I use Categories so that I can store different type downloads in different folders.  AudioBooks in one folder eBooks in a differ folder.
Vectraat

Post by Vectraat »

Ok, but what's the purpose of the tags?

Do they act like labels?
Fuga
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Fuga »

[quote="Vectraat"]
Ok, but what's the purpose of the tags?

Do they act like labels?
[/quote]I'm a relative newbie myself, dumping uTorrent, rooting around the forums. Today I was specifically looking for some insight into this topic. I'm thinking Tags are useable just like in other scenarios. I use Categories as I do Groups in Transmission which is to group by tracker. It's especially useful for sites that have more than one actual tracker. For example, IPTorrents uses 3 trackers. In qBittorent's GUI each tracker is differentiated. In my general use I couldn't care less the exact tracker.

So, to tags ... I can see where a user might want to tag by genre, and/or artist, etc.
xslbhauhfea

Post by xslbhauhfea »

Categories are for categorising the contents of your torrents. For example you may have the categories 'Films + TV', 'Games', 'Music' and 'Software'. You cannot assign more than 1 category to a torrent.

Also categories can specify where they get downloaded. For example in '~/Films + TV', '~/Games', '~/Music' or '~/Software'.

Tags are for categorising the actual torrents. For example you may have the tags 'Archived', 'Important', '2019' and '2020'. You can assign more than 1 tag to a torrent.
Hazard4778

Post by Hazard4778 »

How do I search for previously created tags: I have set up books under authors and series. When I click to tag, I have so many options I created that only a few pop up, and I can't scroll down to select from others (i.e. only tags starting with "a" are visible and not the rest).