Can't Quit Properly/End Task + 100% Disk Usage + Shutting Down issue.

Windows specific questions, problems.
FloodTheWaves

Can't Quit Properly/End Task + 100% Disk Usage + Shutting Down issue.

Post by FloodTheWaves »

Hello

TL:DR - qBittorent goes nuts and just won't die!

I have Windows 11 Pro, a new 12700K system, and qBittorrent v4.5.2.

While qBittorent is installed on the Windows drive (PCIe 4.0 NVME), I have a cheap but big - 8TB Seagate 3.5" 5400rpm SATA 6Gb/s BarraCuda HDD for Downloading/Storing my Torrents (bought new with computer - not old).

I have a constant issue where the SATA drive runs at 100% Disk Usage pretty much permamently - dipping only briefly and occasionally when using qBittorent.

What's worse - even after I close qBittorent; the SATA Disk Usage - stays exactly the same - appearing to be maxed at 100% Disk Usage.

I have found that qBittorent is usually still running in Task Manager even after I exit it.

When I try to End Task in Task Manager - it either doesn't work at all... or doesn't work for ages (eg 10-30+ mins etc).

Maybe it will always end the task and the 100% Disk Usage eventually - I just don't know?

This usually prevents me from Shutting Down the computer when I have these problems (when it's task is still running and or the 100% Disk Usage)... so I have learned to do everything I can to avoid shutting down unless the qBittorent task is finally dead.

It's to the point where I'm kind of afraid to use qBittorent anymore because I worry about a compromised shutdown screwing up my Windows installation and or stopping me from booting up again!

I desperately need to fix this somehow.

I just did a fresh install of qBittorent days ago for the record.

I hope someone can help me out here as I'm sure I'm not the only one who might find the solution helpful.

Thank you for your help.
Gripweed107

Re: Can't Quit Properly/End Task + 100% Disk Usage + Shutting Down issue.

Post by Gripweed107 »

Congratulations, you bought probably the worst HD that you could buy for using with a torrent client. A Seagate 8TB BarraCuda is a SMR type drive. They are inherently slow. The reason you can't shut down Qbittorrent is because the drive is still busy moving all your data from a cache to the platters. Rather than make this a very long reply, just read up on SMR. You can start off with this article: https://www.howtogeek.com/803276/cmr-vs ... ifference/. There are plenty other articles about it, just Google "SMR BarraCuda". Seagate even has a class-action lawsuit against it over not disclosing that it was using SMR drives in place of CMR (normal) drives.
dougngkb

Post by dougngkb »

Same here. Using a newly bought Toshiba 3.5" 4TB HD (DT02ABA400) on Win10. Also fluctuating from few hundred kbps to 20 MB/s in seconds. It's still running on background after quit. End Task in Task Manager don't work and prevent PC restart / shut down. Tried fresh install many times but do no help. :(
capitalpredict

Post by capitalpredict »

The best solution is to buy another HD one. But still, there's no guarantee you won't buy such a bad one :)

coreball
Gripweed107

Post by Gripweed107 »

The issue is CMR vs. SMR. It's very easy to look up the specs if you know the model number. If he buys a name brand CMR drive I think most people would be willing to guarantee that it will be better than the one he has for what he wants to use it for. Of course there are occasionally individual lemons found of every product made.