Request: [Fix missing trackers when adding magnet link]

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
sleek

Request: [Fix missing trackers when adding magnet link]

Post by sleek »

Your v4.4.5 changelog reads:

BUGFIX: Fix missing trackers when adding magnet link. Affects libtorrent 2.0.x builds. (glassez)

I haven't upgraded to the latest version and use 4.4.4, because I don't want trackers being added automatically when magnet links are used for download.

My question - is it possible to have this is a feature - where trackers aren't being added via magnet links? Right now, this "bug" is what keeps me using QB.

Thanks
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Request: [Fix missing trackers when adding magnet link]

Post by Peter »

But... why?
sleek

Post by sleek »

I don't want trackers tracking my IP.

So is it possible?
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

sleek wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:52 am I don't want trackers tracking my IP.

So is it possible?
Well, you can always grab the source and make a change.

But this is not how copyright firms catch you. The trackers don't store IP, they all keep the IP in memory only. If the plug is pulled, IPs are gone, and no one cares about tracker stored IPs and data because it proves absolutely nothing. Copyright firms join the swarm with special clients that track each peer. Through DHT, PeX, and trackers, it doesn't matter. They need evidence that you connected to the swarm, downloaded it, and shared it back (to any degree).

You can always use a VPN, seedbox, and most importantly, private trackers if you are worried about privacy or anything similar.
sleek

Post by sleek »

Peter, thanks for your input, but again, will it be difficult for you to implement an option where trackers aren't added when magnet links are being added to qB? Don't know how to this myself. Still keeping with v4.4.4 because of that.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

sleek wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:05 am Peter, thanks for your input, but again, will it be difficult for you to implement an option where trackers aren't added when magnet links are being added to qB? Don't know how to this myself. Still keeping with v4.4.4 because of that.
Uhm.. I can modify the source I think, if you want. But can you build the program for yourself?
sleek

Post by sleek »

I probably could, Peter, but it will take some figuring out on my end.

Question is, if you do modify the source, could you envision this feature incorporated into your mainstream development?

I think you'll find quite a lot of users will greatly appreciate having the option to disable trackers being added with magnet links. Especially, if such implementation won't require major source fiddling and workload on your end.

Regards
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

I think you'll find quite a lot of users will greatly appreciate having the option to disable trackers being added with magnet links. Especially, if such implementation won't require major source fiddling and workload on your end.
It's a niche thing. Most wouldn't even understand what it means and it'd just end up hurting swarms. People who care about privacy just use a VPN and/or seedboxes. So yeah. When the next release comes you just have to change the same few lines and build it again.
sleek

Post by sleek »

Would then modify the source? I'll try to compile it.
Actually, 4.4.4 came with this bug that was fixed 4.4.5. Perhaps just omitting the fix in .5?