New Search Site called TorrentProject

Other platforms, generic questions.
Tech101

New Search Site called TorrentProject

Post by Tech101 »

Does anyone have any info on this site?
It dominates all my searches and displays heaps of seeders BUT when I click on any of them, the initial torrent window does not populate, what the hell is going on??? is it a fake site??? all the other sites show zero seeders so what the hell?? is torrenting a dying art/breed?? how old is too old for torrents? like a tv show finishes in 2020 and I am trying to download some episodes from the last 2 seasons

Yep I am getting real mift...

Anyone chime in?
rdalek

Re: New Search Site called TorrentProject

Post by rdalek »

Is this the site you are referring to?

https://torrentproject.cc/

I went there and picked a random torrent to test. I clicked and it does a browser check and other annoying things but it did load and the torrent started downloading. The number of seeders on the webpage was higher than what I show in QB, it did find a LOT of seeders. I think this may be the highest number of seeders I've seen in a while.

Point is, while I find all the browser check junk annoying, it seems to work and does seem to find a lot of seeders. If you feel comfortable, post a link or name to torrent and I can try it here, just to test.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

is it a fake site???
99% of these "search sites" are fake. Using public sites is just dangerous in general. Sometimes private ones get infiltrated too, I've witnessed it happen (some guy or group was injecting malware into freshly uploaded things on a closed tracker). But public ones? It's a minefield. It's not enough that most torrents are watched by copyright companies, the files can also contain malware, etc.

Do yourself a favor and join a private tracker. Reddit is full of guides for this. (We don't discuss piracy over here.)
Tech101

Post by Tech101 »

If it is a fake site then why does it come up in the search plug-ins on qbit??
Tech101

Post by Tech101 »

rdalek wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:45 am Is this the site you are referring to?

https://torrentproject.cc/

I went there and picked a random torrent to test. I clicked and it does a browser check and other annoying things but it did load and the torrent started downloading. The number of seeders on the webpage was higher than what I show in QB, it did find a LOT of seeders. I think this may be the highest number of seeders I've seen in a while.

Point is, while I find all the browser check junk annoying, it seems to work and does seem to find a lot of seeders. If you feel comfortable, post a link or name to torrent and I can try it here, just to test.
Thats the web site but look in the search plug-ins but in qbit..... it reports a sh|t load seeders and yet no action anywhere or anytime soon.
rdalek

Post by rdalek »

I've used the search feature of QB before and had little to no results. The only site that actually returns anything useful, solidtorrents. Everything else that is returned is either the wrong thing or doesn't add anything. I rarely use the search feature of QB anymore. It takes more time and effort with little to no results.

I do wish sometimes we could right click on a torrent and select a lookup by hash or something unique on several sites. The results would add trackers that are not already listed/used. Thing is, that may not be doable as some sites may not allow that sort of thing. The sites I use most often when trying to add trackers, solidtorrent and itorrents.org, as they seem to work really well.

One thing to keep in mind, some torrents just may not be easy to find. I've found that some things are part of a larger package. Sometimes it requires searching until you find what you want. On rare occasions, I have to get creative.
Tech101

Post by Tech101 »

rdalek wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:14 pm I do wish sometimes we could right click on a torrent and select a lookup by hash or something unique on several sites. The results would add trackers that are not already listed/used. Thing is, that may not be doable as some sites may not allow that sort of thing. The sites I use most often when trying to add trackers, solidtorrent and itorrents.org, as they seem to work really well.

One thing to keep in mind, some torrents just may not be easy to find. I've found that some things are part of a larger package. Sometimes it requires searching until you find what you want. On rare occasions, I have to get creative.
itorrents.org is way over my head and looks way too complicate.... where is the hash thingie and I need to know the actual torrent first?

And in relation to "getting creative" is when i change search parameters to something generic or completely different then scroll through hundreds of lines and sometimes get lucky.... and then the dreaded zero seeds.
rdalek

Post by rdalek »

itorrents is different. It took me a minute since it doesn't have a search field to put hashes into.

https://itorrents.org/torrent/replace-with-hash.torrent

For it, you do have to have the hash already. It's really only to help add trackers to a torrent you already have. Just copy the hash and paste in the line above, copy the whole thing as a url and paste it into your browser. Once I have that in the url bar, I just replace the previous hash with a new hash when I'm doing several torrents at a time. I've found that it returns trackers really well even if it is a little different to use. I have no idea why it doesn't have a search field to paste hashes into tho. There are only a few sites that let you search by hash tho.

Some torrents are hard to find that actually are available. I've added torrents and them sit for months with not a single byte available. I go take a nap some months later and wake up to the whole thing being downloaded. Someone who had it decided to share and most likely had a fast internet connection too. I have fiber here. Heck, the speed of my hard drive is the most limiting thing. I've had times where I had to search through a lot of results before I find one that is available, eventually. It takes patience.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Tech101 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:54 pm If it is a fake site then why does it come up in the search plug-ins on qbit??
I didn't say this exact one is. Generally speaking, I am really wary of public search engines, trackers and torrents in general. It's Limewire territory. Linkin_Park-In_The_End.exe kind of stuff most of the time. And don't even go into the RAT and honeypot torrents. It's like doing a dangerous, cocaine-fueled dance on a minefield.
bob2306

Post by bob2306 »

Personally I've found malware to be very rare on the mainstream torrent sites. I've mostly been using rarbg for years, and I never saw a single instance there.