New to qBittorrent AND Linux

TCmullet

New to qBittorrent AND Linux

Post by TCmullet »

Hi. I did torrent sharing way back in 2007 with "Azureus", which I now understand is Vuze. I don't remember which torrent sites I went to, but I now know they were all probably public sites, which I've heard that these days are dangerous due to kooks uploading viruses of sorts.

I'm joining a private torrent site and the fellow who invited me suggested qBittorrent. I've always used Windows, and have never installed any version of Linux on a PC. But I'm boldly going to try. (I got good at installing MS-Dos 3 through Windows XP, just so you know a bit of my background. I was a programmer for years, too, but retired now.) I was going to post my question in the Linux section, but the same question applies to ALL versions of qBittorrent. And this appears to be the only place not specific to a particular operating system where one could post such a question. (And I'm happy to announce myself.)

ALL version of qBittorrent have "versions of versions" that include things like "qt5", "qt6" and "lt20" after them, but with NO explanation as to what they mean or why I should download one "version of version" vs another. Unless I'm totally blind and missed it, could someone please explain what those things mean and how I determine whether they're relevant to me? (Or give a link if that's possible and easier.)

In my case, Linux, I've learned that "AppImage" are the Linux version. And there's a choice only between "lt20" and no "lt20". I already (intuitively) know not to ever pick one that says "unstable". And though I did briefly try a Windows 64-bit version, THERE the choices are way more confusing. You can get "no suffix", "(lt20 qt5)", "(qt6)", and "(lt20 qt6)". What the heck do those "lt" and "qt" suffixes mean????? I don't want to (nor should I have to) download them ALL just to dig around and decipher what they mean. This should be documented somewhere.

Thank you!
nekit

Re: New to qBittorrent AND Linux

Post by nekit »

Hi. lt20 means this version uses libtorrent 2.0 library (the newer lib version), qt is for gui library. I always choose lt20 qt6, but you may switch to qt5 if something displyays wrong.
bob2306

Re: New to qBittorrent AND Linux

Post by bob2306 »

TCmullet wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:51 pm ... I don't remember which torrent sites I went to, but I now know they were all probably public sites, which I've heard that these days are dangerous due to kooks uploading viruses of sorts. I'm joining a private torrent site ...
This seems to have become conventional wisdom, but IMO merely being private offers little more than a false sense of security. The more important thing is control over who can post, and some public sites are far more restrictive than any private site I've seen.

Almost all malicious torrents (and all of the ones I've seen) are crude and are aimed squarely at idiots, I don't actually care about these, I just delete them. Seeing them is a bad sign, but a site eliminating them isn't much of an achievement. Getting a private login isn't all that difficult; it's enough to keep out the lame malware, but whether it would dissuade someone with a lucrative zero-day attack against a widely used video library is a different matter.