Connection limits for a 10G connection

Other platforms, generic questions.
Teletha

Connection limits for a 10G connection

Post by Teletha »

Hi!

I'm wondering what settings are good here for my 10/10 Gbit isp connection?

As it is now when i have too many torrents active it crashes my NIC and i have to disable/enable it in device manager to get it to start up again.
Is there some optimal settings that wont reduce the DL speed to much?

current settings
https://i.imgur.com/rh4eHNo.png

NIC
https://i.imgur.com/GglHTNJ.png
bob2306

Re: Connection limits for a 10G connection

Post by bob2306 »

The Ethernet adapter doesn't need to know anything about individual connections, so it's doubtful that changing those parameters is the right thing to do. I'd start by looking for an updated driver, and then try setting global rate limits.
DavidMarin

Post by DavidMarin »

Hi!
To optimize your 10/10 Gbit ISP connection, try adjusting the maximum active torrents and connection limits.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

DavidMarin wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:38 am Hi!
To optimize your 10/10 Gbit ISP connection, try adjusting the maximum active torrents and connection limits.
This. Put a limit. Even the default limit can max out a 10gbps connection.
You won't saturate it by uploading to 10,000 people. You'd need some NVMe pci-ex SSD for that too.
You will push fast speeds to seedbox users, individuals with 1gbps, etc. But for that, you don't need a high connection count at all.
bob2306

Post by bob2306 »

Regarding the specific problem with the NIC, it's most likely that it's caused by the amount of activity in the device. In that case optimizing for throughput will most likely make things worse. I think it's unlikely that the number of connection and torrents make a difference, except to the extent that they affect the level of activity.