Torrents with same name but different size files

Other platforms, generic questions.
rdalek

Torrents with same name but different size files

Post by rdalek »

I was adding some torrents. I noticed that they have the exact same name. However, they are of different sizes. I'm trying to download a set of files, some file sizes vary tho, and am having trouble finding seeds. Qbittorent says they have never been complete. So, I keep adding until I find one that can complete. Thing is, with the same name, it seems to be trying to store different files in the same directory with the same names, despite them actually being different.

Is there a way to tell qbittorrent the torrents are different and to treat them differently? Is this considered a bug? Should qbittorrent detect this and change the names somehow?
harryb382003

Re: Torrents with same name but different size files

Post by harryb382003 »

Yes, just pick one of the torrents, and if there is a download folder just rename it. If not just rename the file. Both can be done by right clicking within the bottom pane of the client
rdalek

Post by rdalek »

I've done similar to that for different reasons and while it changes what you see in QB, it does not change where QB puts the files or the file names. QB still does the same thing either way.

My sequence is this. I start a torrent with the default name. Once the torrent download is complete and I've copied the files I want to another location where I rename things and reorganize things, I then rename the torrent and add Z_DONE_ to the beginning of the name. That way I know I have already copied that torrent to a permanent location, where backups also kick in. Thing is, the folder where it is stored does not change. It remains the same. It does not add Z_DONE_ to the actual folder. It only changes what you see in the QB pane. I've done the same with file names in the past and it only changes what is seen inside QB not the actual folders or file names. Honestly, I don't understand why it behaves this way. Could be a setting I have causes this but most of my settings are the default ones.

I ran into this again the other day. I had two different torrents with the exact same name. Somehow QB needs to detect this and spit out a error and have a way that it can be changed from the start and not only change what is seen inside QB but also the folder or file name as well. If one isn't careful, one could overwrite a good torrent with a totally different torrent and not even know it.
rdalek

Post by rdalek »

I just ran into this again today. I have two torrents with the exact same name but some files are different. Both show 100% downloaded. Thing is, one is wrong. It took me a while to track down which torrent is the correct one. The sizes are close. The bad thing is, if someone tried to download the one I have that is incorrect for them, they will also get the incorrect torrent and even worse, if they are set to check the torrent after downloading, it will fail the check. I assume QB will try to correct that by downloading some files again but given the different hash, it may just download the incorrect files again, unless I'm offline and someone with the correct one is online. The thing is, the wrong torrent shows it has never been complete.

Given the volume of torrents out there, there needs to be a method for QB to see that a torrent is a duplicate and either give us a option to edit the name of the directory it will be saved to, edit the name of the torrent itself slightly which is my preference or at the very least, warn us that a torrent is a duplicate and not add it at all.

With torrents being added all the time, this problem is only going to grow. I've already ran into this about half a dozen times myself.