Settings for HDD

Other platforms, generic questions.
lonelyb0y

Settings for HDD

Post by lonelyb0y »

Hello.

can someone share his xp for setupping qbit for HDD 'better life', please?

i've read that even if it's not seeding it still uses HDD...
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Settings for HDD

Post by Peter »

What do you mean?
HDDs don't die from reads or writes. They die from run hour and very high startup count. Just use them. Performance wise it's best if you limit simultaneous download count to 1-2. You can even use the settings to allow more slow downloads but only 1 fast one. HDDs suck at parallel writing/reading.

Increasing RAM cache in Advanced might also help - but this will eat up more ram obviously and it will take longer for your PC to close the client.
lonelyb0y

Post by lonelyb0y »

Thank you for answer.
Peter wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:59 pmWhat do you mean?
i mean to apply settings for HDD life extending.
for example, is 'Pre-allocate disk space' good or not?
and others..
Peter wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:59 pmHDDs don't die from reads or writes. They die from run hour and very high startup count. Just use them. Performance wise it's best if you limit simultaneous download count to 1-2. You can even use the settings to allow more slow downloads but only 1 fast one. HDDs suck at parallel writing/reading.
ok.
Peter wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:59 pm Increasing RAM cache in Advanced might also help - but this will eat up more ram obviously and it will take longer for your PC to close the client.
do you mean 'Disk cache' which is '-1 (auto)' by default?
and how much RAM will be enough for this?
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Using qBittorrent or any other software will not reduce the lifespan.
for example, is 'Pre-allocate disk space' good or not?
Not useful.
do you mean 'Disk cache' which is '-1 (auto)' by default?
Hmm I usually use 1024MB or 2048MB but again, only if you can afford it.
bob2306

Post by bob2306 »

I have "Pre-allocate disk space" turned-off because it doesn't do anything useful with ZFS. More generally, the intent is to reduce file fragmentation, which will improve performance by reducing excessive seeking. Seeking is also a source of mechanical wear and vibration, so this may help extend the life of the drive too.

The last time I tried it, about 2 years ago, the feature didn't actually work, but that may have been FreeBSD specific.
lonelyb0y

Post by lonelyb0y »

Peter wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:19 pmUsing qBittorrent or any other software will not reduce the lifespan.
yes, i understand that.
i just want to lower using HDD by qbit
Not useful.
ok.
Hmm I usually use 1024MB or 2048MB but again, only if you can afford it.
set 2048MB.
what about 'Outstanding memory when checking torrents'? is this when qbit checks torrents on starting?
bob2306 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:06 pmI have "Pre-allocate disk space" turned-off because it doesn't do anything useful with ZFS.
mine is NTFS.
bob2306 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:06 pmMore generally, the intent is to reduce file fragmentation, which will improve performance by reducing excessive seeking.
yep, fragmentation... that's what the tooltip even says: "Useful for HDD".
bob2306 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:06 pmSeeking is also a source of mechanical wear and vibration, so this may help extend the life of the drive too.
'Seeking'? do you mean 'indexing' for 'Windows Search' service? Yes, disabled.