Folder Names Changing To Letters & Numbers

Windows specific questions, problems.
frank18851

Folder Names Changing To Letters & Numbers

Post by frank18851 »

Hello,

I have downloaded torrents in qBittorent. Recently, there has been a problem with qBittorent. Sometimes when I turn off my computer and external drive to give it a rest. The next day when I start the qBittorent, many torrents are not read and it changes the names of the folders to numbers and letters. And then it wants to download them again. I don't want to download them again when I have downloaded them already.

It is always the same drive I have used. I don't change the drive. I always turn on the drive before I start qBittorent.

When the name is in numbers or letters, instead of the actual folder in which the file is located, it will not give me an option to "Force Recheck" so I can't do it. I just have to delete all those torrents with numbers and letters and restart each torrent so it will read correctly.

Even when I choose "Set Location" it may read but still wants to download from the beginning. I am seeding a lot of torrents and this is annoying because I don't want to keep downloading each torrent again and again. This has happened twice already.

Can anyone help to figure out what the issue might be? I appreciate your help!!

Frank
rdalek

Re: Folder Names Changing To Letters & Numbers

Post by rdalek »

Have you checked the drive using SMART software? Maybe the drive is going bad. I have almost 4,000 torrents and over 30TBs of torrent files. I've never seen that type of behaviour before. I'd also check drive cables too. Maybe one isn't completely plugged in or is having other problems. If you have a extra, change the cable just to be sure.

Keep in mind, if you had a cable problem, some data may be corrupted. QB should detect that and download again to fix it. It's one thing I like about QB. It checks those files and makes sure it is sharing good files.

Hope that helps.
frank18851

Post by frank18851 »

Thanks for your reply. So far is been acting normally after a couple of times that I had issues.

Can you please tell me about that SMART software? Is there a link to it? I am not familiar with that software. I would like to check my drive. Even though I don't think there is a drive issue.

I will check the cables as well but they are fairly in good shape.

Thank you again for responding to me. Please let me know where I can find the SMART software.

Have a great day!!
rdalek

Post by rdalek »

I'm a Linux user. I rarely see Windows anymore. I did google and found this.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/archi ... alth-check

You can google for 'smart hard drive software' and add your version of Windows on the end, leave out the single quotes too. You should find something, hopefully free and safe. Be careful tho. You should google before installing software on Windows. People can put nasty things in there and make life rough.

There are a lot of ways a drive can fail. SMART can't detect them all but for the ones it can detect, it does well. I once got a warning ages ago that a drive would fail within 24 hours. I removed the drive, ordered a replacement, put both drives in my system and copied the data over. This was back in the gigabyte days. A few hours later, the drive wouldn't respond. Shortly after that, it seemed to spin up but the system could no longer see the drive as connected. I got lucky with that failure. SMART warned me and I had enough time to get my data off. They can fail without warning tho. The spindle motor goes out when you power it up and it tries to spin up. From that point, it's dead. Same can happen with the part that moves the heads. Some call them motors but they not really that. Always backup any data you can't afford to lose or can't replace. Family pictures is one that people often don't think about.

From what I found with google, SMART works different on Windows. I think anyway. On Linux, I can not only see drive info and test results, I can tell it to perform tests. When I receive a new drive for example, I first run a conveyance SMART test. If it passes, I run a short SMART test. If it passes, I then run the long SMART test. While it runs those tests, I check the power on hours and the number of times it has been powered up to see if it is used or new. I also look for any errors and things that lead to failure. I'm not sure how or even if you can do that on Windows. Maybe you will find software that will tho. Most OSs, they run the tests in the background on a regular basis. From what I read, MS does that too. If something goes bad or appears to have problems, it alerts you. On Windows, I assume it is a window that pops up. Keep in mind, on todays large hard drives, it can takes hours, even more than a day to run a full test. I have a 18TB drive that takes almost 30 hours to complete. Your system has to be on that long to run the test and complete it.

I'd be more than happy to try and help you on this but I may not be much help given it is a very different OS. Linux and Windows used to have some similar ways on certain things. That's not the case as much anymore.

I hope your drive is OK. They not as expensive as they once was, for the amount of data anyway, but still, they don't give away the good ones.
frank18851

Post by frank18851 »

Thank you so much for looking.

I will look into it!!

Have a great day