Torrent files take up more disk space than actual file size

Windows specific questions, problems.
LookngForHelp

Torrent files take up more disk space than actual file size

Post by LookngForHelp »

Been using the program for years and i dont know if this was the case before But since I started running out of space on my external hard drive, I discovered that when I download, for example, a 10-gigabyte file, approximately another 8-9 gigabytes "disappear", as if i downloaded 18 gb although windows says that the file takes 10 gb.

Tried unplugging/plugging hdd after finishing donwloading, tried to stop seeding, tried enabling/disabling "pre-allocate disk space for all files" feature - nothing works. The only thing that helps "to get my precious gigabytes back" is running chkdsk G: /f command and i get my missing 8 gb back.

Is there any other workaround? Because it's annoying to type this command every time and hypothetically I think a 40 GB file could take up more than 80 GB and I wouldn't have enough space.

Qbittorrent v 4.6.4 Windows 10 1809
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Torrent files take up more disk space than actual file size

Post by Peter »

That is absolutely weird.

- The download should be the same size.
- Ive heard instances where people unselected a few items from big torrents and then the unselected files took up space too. But this has been a thing years ago, I never ran into it. And you should see these files physically.
- Try checking with WinDirStat ( https://windirstat.net ) or Space Sniffer ( http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_sniffer/ ). See if they give you any hint.
- Now here comes the thing you might have ran into!
When you format a drive, Windows asks you about the cluster size. It defaults to something like 4096 (4K) or so.

What is that? How can it take up more space??
Okay so if a file is smaller than the cluster size, it will still take up a block size's space. So a tons of tiny files might end up taking up a humongous amount of space.

> why not just use the smallest cluster size then?
If you do that, it will hinder performance for big file transfers.

> why not use big clusters then?
It increases performance for big files but will waste space with small files.

Again this might not be your issue, just a thing that can happen.

https://www.foldersizes.com/wordpress/i ... -space.htm
https://superuser.com/questions/1782691 ... s-capacity
LookngForHelp

Post by LookngForHelp »

Peter wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:20 pm - Ive heard instances where people unselected a few items from big torrents and then the unselected files took up space too. But this has been a thing years ago, I never ran into it. And you should see these files physically.
Most of the time i download movies and it's just one file, so it's not the case.

So, while I was downloading this file https://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2940993 (just in case) I monitored the disk activity through Space Sniffer and discovered that the "Unaccessible space" square folder was almost the same size as the downloaded file, as if Windows made a duplicate of the file, sadly this is all i can tell. Checked through WinDirStat and could not locate file either, it as marked as "Unknown". Unfortunately, I didn’t take a screenshot to prove that, because I was checking different ways to get rid of this file another way and acidently found out that by stopping the seeding and safely removing the hardware, temporary file disappears after plugging hard drive again.

But anyway, The real problem is that, seemingly, eveyrhing "duplicates" during downloading. Is this how it should be and I just made up a non-existent problem? And if the answer is no, is there any way to fix it? As I said in the initial post, a potentially 40 GB file can end up taking up about 80 GB. Not even talking about really large torrents.

I understand that perhaps the problem is not in the program, but in my disk/system, but I would be glad to hear an opinion on this matter, since I could not find a single post with a similar problem on the Internet.
Last edited by LookngForHelp on Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Could you check your disk with "chkdsk"?
See if it throws any errors?
LookngForHelp

Post by LookngForHelp »

Peter wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:32 pm Could you check your disk with "chkdsk"?
See if it throws any errors?
No, nothing
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

When chkdsk "gives the data back", what's the output? What does it find?

Also what about the drive's health in CrystalDiskInfo?
(you can also use "smartctl" from smartmontools, but I find CDI a bit easier to read)
LookngForHelp

Post by LookngForHelp »

Peter wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:13 pm When chkdsk "gives the data back", what's the output? What does it find?

Also what about the drive's health in CrystalDiskInfo?
(you can also use "smartctl" from smartmontools, but I find CDI a bit easier to read)
I apologize, I have very little understanding of what is said in the crystal disk screenshot :) It's really bad, right?
Attachments
CRYSTAL DISK
CRYSTAL DISK
CRYSTAL DISK.png (82.3 KiB) Viewed 285 times
CMD
CMD
CMD.png (44.87 KiB) Viewed 285 times
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Yeah, that drive is dead.
Pending sectors should be 0 at all times.

On the top of CrystalDiskInfo, go into Function -> Advanced Feature -> Raw Values -> 10 DEC

And you can see the values.
- Reallocated sectors should be 0
- Pending sectors should be 0
- Uncorrectable sector should be 0

If I had a drive like this at Hetzner or OVH, they'd have thrown it out into the trash a long time ago because it's on life support.
LookngForHelp

Post by LookngForHelp »

Yeah makes sense, drive been exploited for almost 10 years and found out only today that some space magically goes missing too when i copy and paste something from Main drive ( havent done this in months :) ) and only chkdsk command helps, basically that drive was only used for downloading something on it lately.

Well, thanks for help, gonna buy a new one, time for my boy to rest
LookngForHelp

Post by LookngForHelp »

Peter wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:25 pm Yeah, that drive is dead.
Pending sectors should be 0 at all times.

On the top of CrystalDiskInfo, go into Function -> Advanced Feature -> Raw Values -> 10 DEC

And you can see the values.
- Reallocated sectors should be 0
- Pending sectors should be 0
- Uncorrectable sector should be 0

If I had a drive like this at Hetzner or OVH, they'd have thrown it out into the trash a long time ago because it's on life support.
Alright, i ran some tests using Victoria programm and managed to repair those bad sectors, there were only 8, it's a bad sign but i guess it's not a big of a deal. Copied some files on it, downloaded bunch of random files and seemingly it works fine. Pre-allocate disk space feature now working and there is no unknown files when i look trough spacesniffer or WindirStat.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Yeah, but be careful. This might last or not last. It's like living on the edge.

Just don't store anything valuable on it and be ready for it to die any second.