The big CPU topic (and Qt5?)

For the generic offtopic chit-chat
loki

Re: Qt5?

Post by loki »

That image is alarming! My processor sits at about 31 idle, and don't think I ever saw it above 64 with all 4 cores cooking prime (and no errors).
Check to make sure you have latest BIOS, sometimes older MB's are compatible with newer processors but don't "know" what to properly set the multipliers at.
Dayman

Post by Dayman »

I replaced CPU cooler with Thermaltake SpinQ VT. 15º down. Now around 60º at full load.

I'll have to tun memtest though.
Even though CPU runs cool now I still get HW errors in prime in any mode except small FFTs (that is when any amount of RAM is tested).

[quote="loki"]
Check to make sure you have latest BIOS, sometimes older MB's are compatible with newer processors but don't "know" what to properly set the multipliers at.
[/quote]
This CPU is on 'supported' list of MB. And i have latst BIOS.
All values are close to stock ones anyway.

Since this thread is going away from Qt5 discussion. I'll ask another question. I have an old PC, which acts as a router, server, etc. It runs on MSI KT4V board with AMD Athlon XP 2000+ and has 2x DDR PC-2100 256MiB Modules. Video card is irrelevant since it's headless.
The system is 2nd-hand, and CPU fan (cooler is Thermaltake Volcano 6 Cu) makes lots of noise. I'd really like to make it fanless (or just buy a new 6x6x2.5 fan), but the damn thing is very hot. I'm running burnK7 stress test and get 60-70º temp. Max operating temperature for this CPU is 90º by the way.

Some Qt stuff, RC2 is out :S http://blog.qt.digia.com/blog/2012/12/1 ... -released/
Last edited by Dayman on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

About the RAM problems... maybe the ram is faulty? (I had such problems with a GEIL kit. I gave it to my friend who uses it ever since without any problems.)

Fanless thingie. You could simply buy a new CPU cooler which makes literally no noise (there are many out there which just make the air move, but you hear literally nothing).
But... are you SURE it's the CPU cooler? On my i7, my GPU acts like a tornado. But the CPU cooler is actually really quiet. (Inefficient too.)
Avelon

Post by Avelon »

What's the timing of your RAM with the Phenom-PC?
Is it CL9? Turn it down to CL8 or get new RAM with CL7 or CL8.

edit: I mean: try to run Prime with CL8 and report, please.
Dayman

Post by Dayman »

shiki wrote: Fanless thingie. You could simply buy a new CPU cooler which makes literally no noise (there are many out there which just make the air move, but you hear literally nothing).
But... are you SURE it's the CPU cooler? On my i7, my GPU acts like a tornado. But the CPU cooler is actually really quiet. (Inefficient too.)
I was talking about other PC in that part =) Will buy a new fan for that one. Socket A is no joke (it was underclocked by the way), can almost boil water there. Good thing those Athlons XP have 90º max temp. But I'm not trusting thermal diode http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6958/athlondiode.png
Avelon wrote: What's the timing of your RAM with the Phenom-PC?
Is it CL9? Turn it down to CL8 or get new RAM with CL7 or CL8.

edit: I mean: try to run Prime with CL8 and report, please.
It's DDR2

Either way, I did run memtest w/o any errors. My conclusion: when CPU goes hot (in multicomponent test like prime in blend or large FFTs mode, where memory is also tested), hot air dispersed by fan goes through memory modules (they're really near :( ) and overheats them. That's the only rational explanation i can come up with.

Edit: almost forgot. Porting stuff to Qt5 will be painful.
  1. moc is still not fixed in RC2, so you need to guard any boost or libtorrent includes with
  2. #ifndef Q_MOC_RUN
    #endif
  3. Q_WS_ defines are gone, not even deprecated; need to use Q_OS_ defines now
  4. Lots of includes need to be rewritten
    #include <QtCore/QCoreApplication>
    will not work now
    As a consequence 'QCoreApplication' class does not exist now <- this is where i gave up
Last edited by Dayman on Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The big CPU topic (and Qt5?)

Post by Peter »

Had to modify the title. Feel free to open a new Qt5 topic. :D
Avelon

Post by Avelon »

If you love the silence of your PC, wait for some more monhs or years and get this nasty, little toy! I like the idea behind it. And I love that they are making progress (like with the Schukey-motor)

http://www.gereports.com/here-come-the-cool-jets/

Still work-in-progress, but...

About the RAM: Ah, okay. The thing is that some Phenoms tend to produce more errors with CL9 than with CL8. Under prime. There was no sign of errors with normal all-day work. So prime gives errors, but its meaningless.
If you thinks its overheating of RAM, open up your case and use a normal fan for human people and try it with this. This should be more than enough to prevent a RAM overheating for a prime test-run.
Dayman

Post by Dayman »

Hmm. I think I'll try building for Qt5 once more.
Looks like 3rd-party qsingleeapplication classes have been ported to Qt5 quiete some time ago. https://qt.gitorious.org/qt-solutions/q ... requests/7

Quarter-way there :) Now need to replace deprecated QHttp[Response|Request]Header classes: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.qt.devel/4989

And the patch (so far) which allows to build at least several qBt files with Qt5: https://github.com/Gelmir/qBittorrent/c ... c69d5b7632 ( I've finally overcame line endings with --binary mode for diff/patch; line endings in 2012, god damn).
So... Q_WS_* macros are deprecated, QString::[to|from]Ascii is deprecated, QHttp[Response|Request]Header is deprecated, moc still dies when processing boost includes and those includes have to be protected with #ifndef Q_MOC_RUN, qsingleapp project had to be updated from unapplied pull request (included in patch), nice start.
Last edited by Dayman on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.