partial torrent, unwanted files

Windows specific questions, problems.
RogerMJK

partial torrent, unwanted files

Post by RogerMJK »

Hello, i want to ask about download only some files from a torrent and dont dowload full torrent.

If i get a torrent with 500GB of content and i only want to download just a file of 3GB, on torrent add dialog i only select this file, and i reserve space on hard disk for torrent, so, my hard disk where i place the download are 250GB, and torrent cant be dowloade, becouse qBittorrent create and reserve space on hard disk for all others files wich i DONT want to download. Why?

There is this will be fixed or implement soon? Guess qBittorrent "aims to provide a Free Software alternative to µtorrent." and uTorrent do that correctly, u torrent ONLY create and reserve espace for the files you selected for download, never create the other files even a 1Kb file, ONLY create and reserve the file selected. qBittorrent will do that soon?

Thank You.
loki

Re: partial torrent, unwanted files

Post by loki »

Don't bash a program for functionality you don't understand... now if you want help discussing how to resolve this problem you are having with qB and not being such a uT fanboy we can continue this discussion.
RogerMJK

Post by RogerMJK »

if you cant understand i only said utorrent for explaining what i meanq and if Bt already do or will do someday, its your problem, qBt fanboy ;).

NeMo_0: If you can't explain correctly we can't help either.
Last edited by RogerMJK on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Welcome,

If you want something to change you can put your request at the bugtracker/wishlist from qBittorrent where it will get more attention. We can't do something here about this ''problem''. Here: https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues.

[quote="RogerMJK"]
Guess qBittorrent "aims to provide a Free Software alternative to µtorrent." and uTorrent do that correctly.
[/quote]

I thought, even with your ''problem'' qBittorrent is still a great ''free alternative to uTorrent'', this won't change this.

Another topic:
[quote="RogerMJK"]
i think will be back to uTorrent, but maybe uTorrent 2.2.1 or something, but i would like qBT implement more things like that to be a real "The qBittorrent project aims to provide a Free Software alternative to µtorrent.", specially the partial torrents, i really think this is basic, i expect much of qBT developement, so i will looking for awhile, looks promising, but still hard to get a real good alternative to uTorrent.
[/quote]

But still hard to get a real good alternative to uTorrent? Really? Things getting funny.. But well :). There is room for improvments surely but don't bash qBittorrent, cause you do. Use whatever you want, thats your choice at the end of the day.
Last edited by Nemo on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Do you know how torrents work? Really quick and oversimplified explanation for a multifile torrent:

Each torrent consists of X pieces. Each piece size is Y KB. The value of X depends on the how big Y is and the total file size. Y can have several values, it is usually 16KB though. So every file in a torrent is chopped up in pieces of Y size. If the last piece of one file is smaller than Y then it contains data from the next file too. So ,for exapmle, when you select in a multifile torrent only the second file to download you might need to download some data of the first file and/or some data of the third file. This is needed so the torrent client can verify that the data are correct. It does this by comparing the hashes of the pieces with the ones contained in the .torrent file. So if the first and/or last piece of your selected file spans the previous/next file then you have to download that piece's data too.

And if your filesystem supports sparse files(NTFS supports that) the "extra files" created don't take any more space than absolutely required(in most cases a few KB).

So bottom line is that this isn't a bug.
Last edited by sledgehammer_999 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vampire337

Post by Vampire337 »

Here's a workaround for your issue: Try compressing the torrent folder.  In Windows Explorer, right click the torrent folder (3GB  + 250GB = 500GB?), and select properties.  Go to Advanced near Attributes (different versions of Windows may have this in different places, but I'm sure you can locate it).  Select the checkbox next to Compress contents to save disk space.  Then hit apply/okay, and make sure to tell it to apply your actions to all folders and files.  Because the preallocated space is just empty data, it should compress to pretty close to nothing, which should free up a lot of space for your situation.