old version of qbitorrent

Windows specific questions, problems.
Onemoar

Re: old version of qbitorrent

Post by Onemoar »

[quote="Tomaso"]
[quote="Onemoar"]
patching tcpi is completely unnecessary on windows xp and windows 7 SP1 its completely illrelavent[/quote]
Really?
It seemed to fix the problem that nontech was having:
http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php?topi ... 77#msg6077
..Also, I've experienced this problem first hand, so there's no point in discussing it any further..
It works!

[quote="Onemoar"]
everyone having issues with QBT seems to be running xp[/quote]
BS!
I'm running the official v3.0.9 build under WinXP32/SP3, and I haven't run into a single problem with it!
There's just as many problems with v3.0.9 reported under Win7.
Some examples:
* No uTP connetions - Reported under Win7 - No such problem for me.
* Torrents won't start - Reported under Win7 - No such problem for me.
* qBittorrent process hangs on exit - Reported under Win7 - No such problem for me.
* Can't contact trackers - Reported under Win7 - No such problem for me.

[quote="Onemoar"]I personally won't be bothered to figure out whats gone and broken on 12 year old hardware running a 10 year old os and frankly neither should the QBT devs[/quote]
Luckily, QBT devs doesn't only prioritize the needs of about 44% of the users, but they try to cover everyone:
http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating ... pcustomd=0
Say no more..
[/quote]

can't reproduce the issue on any of my 6 windows 7 machines or in a VM running Xp over two differnt connections and routers
here the the deal when a user reports a problem and the developers can neither reproduce it nor confirm it
Guss what then by nature its a not a bug. its a user error period its a waste of developer time to bother trying to track down issues they can't reproduce QBT is a GUI for lib-torrent nothing more if you are having issue contract the lib-torrent people tho I suspect you are gonna get the same reply's from them

and let me clarify a few points
the two users that reported problems under windows 7 where running from portable apps launcher god knows what they screwed up elseware as well
secondly most of the issues with people not being able to connect to a tracker are probably related to there inability to configure there router/firewall/AV correctly (looking at you tomaso)
the haf open limit is only a issue if your connection is especially poor
consult this url for further bug reports
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/cnr.png
Last edited by Onemoar on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

[quote="Onemoar"]
here the the deal when a user reports a problem and the developers can neither reproduce it nor confirm it
Guss what then by nature its a not a bug. its a user error period.....
[/quote]

Well up until a few days ago the "hang on exit" bug didn't occur on my PC. Now I can reproduce it everytime. There are some bugs that depend on uknown factors and you can reproduce/trigger them only by chance. On the bug tracker there are numerous reports of:
1. Torrents stuck in "stalled" status
2. Torrents stuck in "checking" status or that a force recheck hangs
3. Program hang on exit
4. Program forgeting torrent progress after restart and forgeting save path
5. Program not moving files out of the temp folder and into the final folder.
6. (I am sure I am forgeting other weird behavior)

This has happened for several months and in different OS's. This was a really hard bug to encounter and debug, but finally it is triggered on my machine too and from the looks of it, it is related to all of the above. So it is foolish to assume that for every bug report that you cannot reproduce it is an user error. Ideally, a user shouldn't be able to break your app's functionality.
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

[quote="Onemoar"]
most of the issues with people not being able to connect to a tracker are probably related to there inability to configure there router/firewall/AV correctly (looking at you tomaso)
the haf open limit is only a issue if your connection is especially poor [/quote]
You assume too much.
Does this look like a poor connection to you?:
http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php?topi ... en#msg3552
qBittorrent is running with full server rights on my system.
Onemoar

Post by Onemoar »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
[quote="Onemoar"]
Guss what then by nature its a not a bug. its a user error period.....
[/quote]

Well up until a few days ago the "hang on exit" bug didn't occur on my PC. Now I can reproduce it everytime. There are some bugs that depend on uknown factors and you can reproduce/trigger them only by chance. On the bug tracker there are numerous reports of:
1. Torrents stuck in "stalled" status
2. Torrents stuck in "checking" status or that a force recheck hangs
3. Program hang on exit
4. Program forgeting torrent progress after restart and forgeting save path
5. Program not moving files out of the temp folder and into the final folder.
6. (I am sure I am forgeting other weird behavior)

This has happened for several months and in different OS's. This was a really hard bug to encounter and debug, but finally it is triggered on my machine too and from the looks of it, it is related to all of the above. So it is foolish to assume that for every bug report that you cannot reproduce it is an user error. Ideally, a user shouldn't be able to break your app's functionality.
[/quote
issues 2,4,5,6  could be caused by people failing to execute qbt as administrator and or corrupt file systems on there machines I haven't had a single occurrence of any of those on my test rigs
issues 1 and 3 seem to be caused by qbt not releasing its the open handel it has on the FS be default windows keeps a process open if it thinks it still have a openhanded someplace double check the cleanup code you run when you shut down and make sure you are closing all open handles specifically on "incomplete blocks" (also a probably cause of 1 and 2)
have any of the people reporting issues with connections to trackers or internet dropping tried restarting there modems and routers when the issue pops up ?

most consumer routers hit a "though-put" wall at about 10MB/s some of the cheaper ones exibit strange bugs when you start stressing them (WRT4G's are known for this as well as some of netgears cheaper models Dlinks are also known to have a firmware bug that causes the DHCP table to crash when there stressed)

you are right I tend to make assumptions because I have been doing this for almost 20 years
Last edited by Onemoar on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.