Forum Software:

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
Onemoar

Forum Software:

Post by Onemoar »

with the amount of users growing and with the amount of bots we have been seeing lately
I think its time to upgrade the forums to something thats a bit more sturdy
somthing  PhpBB or BeeHive or even IP or VB
~discuss
SMF is nice but it is fairly limited QbT is growing faster everyday and even from a purely artistic standpoint the forum layout is lame
Last edited by Onemoar on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Forum Software:

Post by Peter »

When the site started way back then, I used phpBB for the first install. Then we moved to SMF.
As every single open-source software, forum engines are like a roller coaster ride.

Sometimes they fix bugs, release new versions, keep the themes AND addons up-to-date.
(Security and anti-spam is the most important. Nowadays anti-spam is a core feature, which I think they should include in the core. Like have a shared server between all the BB engines, and share a database about spammers. And implement the functions like "SFS" in SMF, and the other blocker in PhpBB. But, that's up to them.)

Unlike a CMS (WordPress, Drupal), they don't have a top-notch version. (Free, that is.)

When we started out, phpBB was the most recent.
Then it turned out, no one had the time to maintain the anti-spam modules. So we had to move.
It was time to move to SMF. We installed "Stop Forum Spam", and been happy ever since.

Now... I did see that PhpBB's block module (top-rated/latest) is newer... someone took his time to update it...
But what if he becomes busy again?

tl;dr: Moving to other (e.g.: better) engines is always an option. I don't mind if I have to convert the database 50 times, unless it breaks. I just don't see the appeal in PhpBB yet. Maybe if we keep getting these attacks, I'll convert the site (a week later or so.)

IPB would be the best of course. But who wants to pay the registration / hosting fee for that?
(And seriously, I think phpBB or SMF can do pretty much the same. They even cracked Valve forums open.)
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Just a reminder: Back then when you moved from phpbb to smf some posts of mine were lost. If you again make the transition to another engine you should be extra careful.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Yeah, I will. :)
But I won't make the transfer in the next few days. I'll mark a date in advance, etc.