Spammers

For the generic offtopic chit-chat
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Spammers

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Ok. I understand now.
Also something else I have seen from other forums: They allow you to create a new thread only after X time after registration. eg "You cannot create a new topic before 1 hour has passed after registration in the forums." Currently, though I don't think this is a good idea. It will hamper forum usage. We aren't too popular to get away with this (think xda-developers forum).
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Solved the situation, it was rather simple.
Back in the days (just before we switched hosts), I disabled the mail activation.

Why? There was a good reason. The spammers made us a huge queue that we could never send out.
Not to mention that if you send out too many mails, you will get on a blacklist. Thus, no one would get our mails.

Things went just fine (thank you guys again for keeping the site clean, you rock!).
But now I couldn't figure out how they passed. Gmail would not let spammers register.
And then it popped into my head... the registration! You could use any fake mail to just get through. (Yeah, it was that silly.)

So I enabled it again, and now no one gets through. No spammer, that is. I could register a new name in a matter of seconds.
With that, I hope we will never get spam again. (or just a few in a year.)

Ps: Is there a list for "most used providers"? Like... that kick spammers out of their service?
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Since you enabled sending email verfication will you now whitelist again all domains for email in the registration?
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

That would get back to the same place. We need a whitelist of providers who act like Gmail and Hotmail.
(Kick spammers out, got phone verification, and so on.)

I'll look around for a list like that in the next few days. I'm pretty sure there is one out there.
(we still have 12 pages of inactive members. "failed-to-post" spam accounts.)
Last edited by Peter on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dayman

Post by Dayman »

[quote="shiki"]
That would get back to the same place. We need a whitelist of providers who act like Gmail and Hotmail.
(Kick spammers out, got phone verification, and so on.)

I'll look around for a list like that in the next few days. I'm pretty sure there is one out there.
(we still have 12 pages of inactive members. "failed-to-post" spam accounts.)
[/quote]

Yandex is pretty popular in Russia (http://legal.yandex.com/termsofservice/ 3.2.1, 3.2.5, 4.4)

Also https://gmx.com is a good mail (they allow simple regexp in filters) http://www.gmx.com/terms.html/wicket:pa ... e/wicket-2 7.13, 13.4
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Thank you, added them to the whitelist.