3.0.11 saturates my connection, causing repeat drop-outs

Windows specific questions, problems.
ralphonzo

3.0.11 saturates my connection, causing repeat drop-outs

Post by ralphonzo »

I've used qBittorrent for a while now and have never had any problems.  I have an awful ADSL2+ connection which drops out when the NAT table is "full."  This is by design and because of proprietary authentication, I'm unable to bridge a simple modem that would put that responsibility on my router proper which doesn't impose such artificial constraints.  I'm stuck pseudo-bridging the ISP-approved "gateway," so I must live with the obnoxious limit.

Anyway, what's happening is every 10-15 seconds, my connection drops out globally and must be re-authenticated because the NAT table is saturated.  The result is about 10 seconds of uptime, followed by 20 seconds of downtime, which has been repeating like clockwork all day everyday since installing 3.0.11.  This has never been a problem for me in qBittorrent, or µTorrent for that matter.  I'm wondering what exactly changed in 3.0.11 that is causing this to be a problem suddenly.  I've read the change-log and set an appropriate global limit on upload slots.  I've reduced global maximum connections to levels far below what I used on 3.0.10 and previous versions without any positive change.

What else has changed that could be overloading my connection like never before?
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 3.0.11 saturates my connection, causing repeat drop-outs

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Try qbit 3.0.10 again and tell us if it fixes the problem.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/qbittor ... e/download
ralphonzo

Post by ralphonzo »

I expected to tell you yes it did, but oddly reverting did not fix it.  The time correlation is too much to make me think my ISP just got around to being more evil on the night I upgraded to 3.0.11 (or that I have hardware that just begun to fail at that time), but I'll spend some more time trying to determine if it's something else on my end.  It's certainly a familiar problem, but not one I've had to deal with in several years--I used to use eMule a lot and it could certainly fill a NAT table...  Anyway, I'll update later with whatever I discover.  I don't want to suggest it's a problem with the client as a restrictive ISP's restrictive hardware is ultimately at the root of it.

I also wonder if it could be a "problem torrent" I added around the time of the update.  I've come across two such torrents out of perhaps a thousand since switching to qBittorrent (3.0.9 and 3.0.10) that cause my U/D within the client to flat-line seconds after the torrent is started.  When I try to exit the process, it hangs indefinitely and actually requires a hard power-down if I want to be able to run the client again.  Trying to restart Win7 the normal way results in an eternal shutdown process that never finishes.  But, that's probably for another thread...
ralphonzo

Post by ralphonzo »

Perhaps I spoke too soon--I haven't experienced drop-outs on 3.0.10 after the first ten minutes of using it.  Old records still had to expire, perhaps.
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

Lower the global connection number until the problem goes away.
Splat

Post by Splat »

After uninstalling qB I would manually delete qB's folder and anything associated with it you find in Windows. Then reinstall 3.0.10 and see what happens.
ralphonzo

Post by ralphonzo »

3.0.10 seemed more stable to me, to the point that I thought it was fixed for a time.  However, the drop-outs started happening again.  When I had no P2P clients running and experienced drop-outs when loading a 200+ tab Firefox session I realized the problem was non-specific.  Long story short, it was my modem dying which just happened to neatly begin its failure process the night I installed .11.  Everything is fine now with a new practically disposable DSL modem bridged with my router.

Thanks for the responses and hopefully only minimal time, if any at all, was spent looking into non-issue this in the source.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

"qBittorrent, the bittorrent client that destroys routers" lol
ralphonzo

Post by ralphonzo »

Hahaha considering how many of these garbage 2Wire "gateways" I've burned through, a change of weather may be an equally likely potential culprit :P
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

2Wire seems to have a bad reputation. Even when it's "working", it's still broken.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r245939 ... lem-w2Wire
http://seclists.org/bugtraq/2007/Aug/225