Popular torrent search Isohunt taken down by MPAA

For the generic offtopic chit-chat
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Popular torrent search Isohunt taken down by MPAA

Post by Nemo »

Sadly the bittorrent search site isohunt is closing after the pressure of MPAA. I used that site alot in my early torrenting years and still using it now and then. Finding the torrents what other search engines couldn't sometimes or for your daily search. Neverthless its always sad to see how the sites being taken down. It was just a search engine like any other site redirecting to other sites. Google is doing the same (even easier to find any torrents) but hey its all about the money these days.

Fung, meanwhile, posted a farewell message on his website. "It's sad to see my baby go," he wrote. "But I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. 10.5 years of Isohunt has been a long journey by any business definition, and forever in internet startup time."

More detailed information:
http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/17/4849900/bittorrent-site-isohunt-shutting-down-after-defeat-in-court
ironcross

Re: Popular torrent search Isohunt taken down by MPAA

Post by ironcross »

I've never used it, but anyway this is sad news, indeed.
loki

Post by loki »

There's already at least 2 other sites that I use that are just as good or better... funny that site was running for 10.5 years, did they have torrents back that far...? And would it be safe to say that took forever long to get shut down?
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Thats always how it is; one goes down 2 new ones comes in place. Its hard and wasted money (in my opinion) to fight against it cause its unstoppable. TPB is still standing and are stronger with dozens of proxys online so whatever they try it will still be there with a new site or somewhere else. You can always search with Google for it with guarranteed results, basically thats what any torrent search engine is doing. I didn't knew that they were 10,5 years active either which is a long fight to stay alive indeed. The same was done to mininova if you guys remember, now they only share featured torrents instead closing the whole site. I was a great site back in the days. I went to extratorrent after that but they also have problems with copyright laws now so we will see what we do next.

While surfing the internet and reading news I accidently saw this and thought it might be interesting to post it here (news/information page someone :P?).
zeomal

Post by zeomal »

Sad...  :'(

Like ironcross, I've never actually used it, but it still makes me sad to see it go.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Always found new music with Mininova. Back then.
I could just browse the directories, find good music, and then later buy it if it was really good.
(Yeah, buying music, what a noob. By the way it's legal here to download music/video for personal use. Such a pirate country, wow.)

Isohunt... used it in the days of Mininova, but I can remember they said it once that they will stop indexing "illegal content". So did I stop visiting their site.
Again, all the "illegal content" to me is like games which I either delete in 1 hour or buy them. So yeah. (Too bad Steam doesn't have Origin like refunds yet.)
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Its back: http://isohunt.to/. Its not like the original but almost identical to the old one. They wrote:
Hey everyone! IsoHunt is back online! It’s the same old isoHunt from the outside but very different from the inside. We have nothing in common with the isoHunt Inc. that made the original website. We proudly copied it and are happy to share.
When are they going to learn that closing any site won't stop anything. 1 goes 10 comes in place, useless money spending by any anti p2p company if you ask me.
ironcross

Post by ironcross »

[quote="Nemo"]
When are they going to learn that closing any site won't stop anything. 1 goes 10 comes in place, useless money spending by any anti p2p company if you ask me.
[/quote]

+1!
fasix

Post by fasix »

hi everyone, is the plugin need to be upgraded to isohunt.to? thanks.