4.5.0 color scheme is... ugh

Windows specific questions, problems.
hazardass

Re: 4.5.0 color scheme is... ugh

Post by hazardass »

TomSwiftSenior wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:29 pm SO?
Is this color problem going to be resolved in a future update?
And is there a rough estimate on *when* that new update might be come available?
Thanks!

--TSS
1) yes
2) no
tooponn

Post by tooponn »

Agreed. Love the app, much respect for making it for us all, but the light blue text colour is very uncomfortable and I had to revert to an earlier version.
hellodear.in

tea tv apk
Last edited by tooponn on Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PlanetStar

Post by PlanetStar »

I am on the Mac version of 4.5.0 working in Dark mode.

Dark blue text on a dark grey and black background is almost impossible to read on an Apple Studio monitor.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Yeah the new scheme, new theme options are all on the way.
Kokkero63

Post by Kokkero63 »

hazardass wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:23 pm I'd like to say, I don't know why they did these color changes, maybe they had a good reason to, I dunno. I'm sure the good devs will do their best to undo/fix the bad color palette. I just worry that we'll be back to the same place later down the line. I think the best approach, long term, would be to implement something like what sledgehammer did years ago that enabled users to customize colors to their taste. (Perhaps it shouldn't be that difficult if it's been done once already?) I'm saying this with all the good intentions in the world, and I'm grateful for your hard work! ^-^

P.s. I know that most of the effort is focused on making things work internally, things that most users don't think about cuz we just know how to click on "download" and expect things to work. This is just a reminder to myself and the other users because we do take things for granted sometimes, and we may complain about things that the devs find less important. So please don't feel like your efforts are not appreciated. :))
This is a fair comment... :)
Kokkero63

Post by Kokkero63 »

Kokkero63 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:13 pm
hazardass wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:23 pm I'd like to say, I don't know why they did these color changes, maybe they had a good reason to, I dunno. I'm sure the good devs will do their best to undo/fix the bad color palette. I just worry that we'll be back to the same place later down the line. I think the best approach, long term, would be to implement something like what sledgehammer did years ago that enabled users to customize colors to their taste. (Perhaps it shouldn't be that difficult if it's been done once already?) I'm saying this with all the good intentions in the world, and I'm grateful for your hard work! ^-^

P.s. I know that most of the effort is focused on making things work internally, things that most users don't think about cuz we just know how to click on "download" and expect things to work. This is just a reminder to myself and the other users because we do take things for granted sometimes, and we may complain about things that the devs find less important. So please don't feel like your efforts are not appreciated. :))
This is a fair comment... :)
It would be nice if we could decide on these color settings! Thanks!
Kokkero63

Post by Kokkero63 »

Just an idea:

Behavior - desktop menu
plus one cube - Old color sheme (4.4.5)

For those who find the new colors confusing.

Happy New Year for everyone!
distantkay

Post by distantkay »

I join too. Very bright icons - hard on my eyes. The previous design theme was almost perfect. It would be wonderful to add an option to just choose in settings, the former design theme (including icons).
So far, I too have installed the previous version.
antonidimito

Post by antonidimito »

Just a hint...
...it would be nice to have such a skin (Thin icons) as an option in future versions.

Open image in new tab to see in full resolution. (photo edit attempt, not precise,but just an idea)
Attachments
justahint.jpg
justahint.jpg (587.33 KiB) Viewed 1153 times
Gripweed107

Post by Gripweed107 »

Peter wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:22 am It's more complicated than that. But the issue is being fixed, I'd expect a 4.5.1 version any day/moment now.
Peter,
You wrote the above on November 30th, 2022. I don't think anyone is going to confuse you with Nostradamus.
hazardass

Post by hazardass »

Gripweed107 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:47 am
Peter wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:22 am It's more complicated than that. But the issue is being fixed, I'd expect a 4.5.1 version any day/moment now.
Peter,
You wrote the above on November 30th, 2022. I don't think anyone is going to confuse you with Nostradamus.
FFS I got excited when I read that quote from Peter thinking it's a recent one, until I realized it's very old. :-\
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

I was just following the Issues tracker and I based my comment on that. Still, if the color scheme bothers you, staying on the last version before is also absolutely totally fine. (Personally, I've been using the latest version on all my machines, and the color scheme is absolutely fine to me. No I did not make the color changes, pls don't hang me.)
Gripweed107

Post by Gripweed107 »

Peter,
I was just joking around. I just happened to re-stumble over your prediction and I thought that posting it would be good for a laugh. Hopefully you'll take that in that spirit.
Actually I've decided to go to the dark side - ayuDark to be exact. It was a bit of a shock initially but I got used to it. It's not perfect but it's something I feel comfortable with now. I just could not feel comfortable with the default 4.5.0 theme no matter how long I tried.
hazardass

Post by hazardass »

Peter wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:19 am I was just following the Issues tracker and I based my comment on that. Still, if the color scheme bothers you, staying on the last version before is also absolutely totally fine. (Personally, I've been using the latest version on all my machines, and the color scheme is absolutely fine to me. No I did not make the color changes, pls don't hang me.)
It's all good, Peter. I'm happy that the devs take user feedback to heart and you guys decided to do something about this relatively quickly. To me that's the most important thing and it's very appreciated!

Peter, when you say you're fine with the colors, I'm wondering what your usage is like. Your needs may be different from the rest of us. If I use it infrequently for a couple of seconds at a time just to add/remove a torrent or two, I can learn to ignore the unappealing colors, so in that sense I can say it's "fine". I can only speak for myself of course. To be clear, I"m not talking about this because I want to to convince you in anything. You've already said that colors will change in the next version which is great, so I"m discussing this purely out of curiosity about what you said.

It's the prolonged usage (like 30 seconds or longer, multiple times a day) that causes my eyes to glaze over, and I have to squint my eyes to read the text. It's kind of like reading text on a computer monitor at very low refresh rate, it strains the eyes. It's possible that not everyone's eyes are affected the same way, but it's a known phenomenon with colors that are not well contrasted like with the pale blue text against the white background. (extremely high contrast can also cause eye strain). I think there are even websites that suggest the best RGB values for text vs. background for reading.

When I went back to the older version 4.4.5, my eyes were immediately relieved. I was able to sit back in my chair and read from a longer distance, no strain. This changes my entire experience at the computer screen.

So, Peter, I'm not sure what you mean by 'fine', maybe you just mean "i'm still able to read the text", then sure, but if you are saying that there is absolutely no difference in how your eyes feel when using 4.4.5 vs 4.5.0, I would take your word for it, I would just find it odd. :D
sinneri

Post by sinneri »

Storytime.. gather around folks. O0

OK, so there I was, browsing the forums for the first time ever looking for info on some advanced options (despite using qBittorent for years) and I stumbled upon this topic discussing some ugly new theme.

I was confused. What is this mysterious color scheme people were talking about? I asked myself.

The version I've been using since last year, 4.4.3, had a pretty basic Windows scheme that had always been blinding white while the whole world had moved on to the dark theme, even on the phones, for years. Is it some custom UI theme option that most people have never ticked cause nobody wants to download random themes in zip files and would rather prefer DARK MODE like every other Windows app in existence, these days?

Nay. Mine eyes then noticed the mysterious version 4.5.0, making me realize that the 4.4.3 version I've been on, has never reported to me about the new update released last year, despite me manually checking for it every month since like May of 2022 when 4.43 was released.

Anyway, TLDR; Baby bloo theme is somehow worse than the last default blinding white theme qBittorent was stuck on since the discovery of fire. As an artist pirating.. Linux.. through this fine app for years, I would rather have the default Windows 10 dark theme applied on the app over random UI re-skins that are designed by/for people with cheap monitors using terrible gamma by default.

I kinda regret upgrading now, and I feel that my old 4.4.3 was a sentient being, trying to save my eyes from the baby blue death that awaited me in the new release. This is officially worse than Covid.

/EndStoryTime

PS: Also, even the forum doesn't have a dark theme. I realized the dark theme was due to Dark Reader extension on FireFox, that is always active for me because I don't like to be blinded by white themes anywhere anymore.