4.5.0 color scheme is... ugh

Windows specific questions, problems.
kitrana

Re: 4.5.0 color scheme is... ugh

Post by kitrana »

for me it isn't just the colours, they are terrible and entirely too close to each other and the background for my eye's comfort. It's that combined with the new even more simplified icons. it gives the UI a dumbed-down childish feel like a user interface my eight-year-old niece would draw. I'm using 4.5.1 on windows 10 and even the custom UI files don't change anything about the look.
hazardass

Post by hazardass »

kitrana wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:55 am for me it isn't just the colours, they are terrible and entirely too close to each other and the background for my eye's comfort. It's that combined with the new even more simplified icons. it gives the UI a dumbed-down childish feel like a user interface my eight-year-old niece would draw. I'm using 4.5.1 on windows 10 and even the custom UI files don't change anything about the look.
I wasn't gonna say anything about the icons because i've already complained too much about the text, but you took the words right out of my mouth about the childish look of the icons. It's like someone dropped qB in a children's candy store and let it stew in there for a week. The old look was way more professional and less distracting.
duf666

Post by duf666 »

Version 4.5.2 is out now...

BUT... no sign of any color correction or at least improvement...

suwaFS

Post by suwaFS »

So it seems like there's still no news about optional UI themes? I'm not very good at programing and Qt, but I have some simple ideas.
Maybe we could have some universal file format to describe themes? Open a setting page and load the files in, then turn to different themes by simply clicking between several option in this page? Just like someone mentioned.
I also saw some discussions in other forums about a file format called: '.qbtheme', anyone know about this?
miracles

Post by miracles »

Hello!

It's really sad that no one seems to take responsibility for the extremely ugly GUI in the later versions of an otherwise one of a kind torrent program.
Has any kind of prestige crept into this?
In any case, there are many of us who are strongly considering switching to a more eye friendly program,
some of of my friends have already gotten fed up and switched programs... just my two cents...

I'll stay on for now with version 4.4.5

Best regards,
miracles
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

suwaFS wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:29 am...
Custom UI themes has been added a long time ago. qBittorrent supports themes. You just have to find one you like, and load it into the program via Settings.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

miracles wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:33 pmIt's really sad that no one seems to take responsibility for the extremely ugly GUI in the later versions of an otherwise one of a kind torrent program.
Has any kind of prestige crept into this?
As developers stated on Github, they need constructive criticism. But it's also not black and white.

- On Github, in the tickets, and here, most posts are about "previous was better". It is hard to make any changes based on that. As Glassez said on the tracker, if every change was reverted, we'd be still using the old v2 qBittorrent. So, what should be changed? Is there a proposed new color change you think would work better? If so, please make a ticket on Github, include screenshots with your colors on both dark/light modes and they might just merge it right away.

- Some people actually like changes. I like them. I didn't make them, and I didn't vote for any kind of look, but it doesn't bother me. Few people here, few people there. As with any changes, some will like it, some won't. There is no telemetry, or any kind of "feedback collection" in the client to actually ask people about things. I remember thinking about it one time, I brought up the idea, and pitchforks were out. People don't like it if a program calls home so to say.

- You can always load in a UI theme file, or make one yourself based on an existing one. Not saying the program is perfect or anything by the way, just saying that you can customize the program to your liking.

( Few themes can be found here, but you can also Google: https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorr ... ent-themes )
miracles

Post by miracles »

@peter

Thanks for the very useful info about themes, appreciate it a lot!
Constructive criticism; just my 2 cents, the default GUI, version 4.4.5,
which I'm using right now, the possibility to keep that default GUI, as it is perfect in my opinion.
It's clean and tidy, goes easy on the eyes, nothing stands out, icons are great. Personally I see no need for "bells & whistles".
A perfect GUI would, in my humble opinion, would be a GUI that adapts to the Windows version I'm using, if that is doable?
I have no experience of qBittorrent themes, (don't like dark themes), and how they work, I try to use as few tweaks as possible on my PC.

Also, I really, really like qBittorrent and I will make a donation, if that helps.

Best regards,
míracles
miracles

Post by miracles »

@Peter
How do I make a donation, can't find info on that in FAQ?

Also there are issues when trying to post, getting this message:
"You need to login in order to reply to topics within this forum." It's like Catch 22...
miracles

Post by miracles »

@peter
Login is working better now! Kudos!! :D
kitrana

Post by kitrana »

Peter wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:34 pm
Custom UI themes has been added a long time ago. qBittorrent supports themes. You just have to find one you like, and load it into the program via Settings.
I tried using one. according to qbittorrent's own site on this, you just grab the theme file and load it in the client right? i tried that and it did absolutely nothing.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

kitrana wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:35 am
I tried using one. according to qbittorrent's own site on this, you just grab the theme file and load it in the client right? i tried that and it did absolutely nothing.
- Download the qbt theme file
- Open qBittorrent, go into settings, select the file
- Restart qBittorrent

It works mine, I just messed around with them on 4.5.2 when I made that post. Though I like the original 4.5.2 look.
hazardass

Post by hazardass »

Peter wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:47 pm
As developers stated on Github, they need constructive criticism. But it's also not black and white.

- On Github, in the tickets, and here, most posts are about "previous was better". It is hard to make any changes based on that. As Glassez said on the tracker, if every change was reverted, we'd be still using the old v2 qBittorrent. So, what should be changed? Is there a proposed new color change you think would work better? If so, please make a ticket on Github, include screenshots with your colors on both dark/light modes and they might just merge it right away.

- Some people actually like changes. I like them. I didn't make them, and I didn't vote for any kind of look, but it doesn't bother me. Few people here, few people there. As with any changes, some will like it, some won't. There is no telemetry, or any kind of "feedback collection" in the client to actually ask people about things. I remember thinking about it one time, I brought up the idea, and pitchforks were out. People don't like it if a program calls home so to say.
Hey Peter, respectfully, your responses are beginning to sound more and more dismissive.

1) You keep saying that you personally like the colors, but at the same time you keep reminding us that you didn't pick them. The implication being that all of us who don't like them need to just get over it because you like them, and to stop bothering you because you had no part in this. Nobody here suggested that you are the dev who picked the colors. Obviously we hope that the user feedback here will reach the people who are responsible for that, and we understand that you are just in charge of the forum. There is no need to take this personally and get defensive.

2) Trying to conflate all the other user requests on Github that want to revert functional/technical features which is categorically different from reverting the default colors/theme, is strange. Nothing about changing text colors or icons even approaches going back to an older version of the application in terms of its features. So it's a bit odd to just lump all the user requests together like that.
Re-painting your Ferrari won't turn it into a Honda.
I'm pretty sure you understand this, so I have to wonder why you would say that.

3) I will assume that you didn't see my previous questions to you, even though you seem to be following this thread and responding here.
What did you mean back in December when you said "New scheme and new theme options are on the way", and now you seem to have turned away from that altogether after we realized that none of it happened? Could you just give us an update on that statement?

4) Did you see the old thread by sledgehammer I mentioned 3 times in this thread, where he posted a test version of qB with a color customization file which allowed users to change their own text colors? viewtopic.php?p=14715#p14715
That could potentially solve everyone's issues with the text colors if we are allowed to change them ourselves.
I guess I'll have to post that on GH as well for others to notice it.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Maybe we can put this personal tastes aside and probably get a definite solution for this so everyone can get its own changes done to the gui if you want rainbow or dark colors, its being worked on;

https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/pull/18655

This way using themes and changing different colors will be much easier.
suwaFS

Post by suwaFS »

Thank you for the guidance! I'll look for the themes in forums and github.