Simplify version(s) to download

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
fckwan

Simplify version(s) to download

Post by fckwan »

Currently for Windows machine. There are 4 version to download

64-bit installer Uses Qt5 and libtorrent 1.2.x series.
64-bit installer (lt20 qt5) Uses Qt5 and libtorrent 2.0.x series.
64-bit installer (qt6) For Windows 10+. Uses Qt6 and libtorrent 1.2.x series.
64-bit installer (lt20 qt6) For Windows 10+. Uses Qt6 and libtorrent 2.0.x series.

Since libtorrent 2.0.x is freely available. Why not just ask the user to install libtorrent 2.0.x and only provide the following 2 versions.
64-bit installer (lt20 qt5) Uses Qt5 and libtorrent 2.0.x series.
64-bit installer (lt20 qt6) For Windows 10+. Uses Qt6 and libtorrent 2.0.x series.
mrb

Re: Simplify version(s) to download

Post by mrb »

Can someone explain what all this means? I recall I had to use a special version to avoid tiny text but after it upgraded itself the tiny text is back.
I'm sure there are now even more versions and I have no clue, even after searching.
capitalpredict

Post by capitalpredict »

mrb wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:22 pm Can someone explain what all this means? I recall I had to use a special version to avoid tiny text but after it upgraded itself the tiny text is back.
I'm sure there are now even more versions and I havekrunker no clue, even after searching.
I also have the same problem as you but after searching, the Google result is just this post :(
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

mrb wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:22 pm Can someone explain what all this means? I recall I had to use a special version to avoid tiny text but after it upgraded itself the tiny text is back.
I'm sure there are now even more versions and I have no clue, even after searching.
You need the Qt6 version. You can grab the lt20, but don't have to, that's optional.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

capitalpredict wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:24 am
I'm sure there are now even more versions and I havekrunker no clue, even after searching.
I also have the same problem as you but after searching, the Google result is just this post :(
Qt6 - Offers better scaling on Hi-DPI screens (small laptop screen with crazy high-resolution for example), but it's not super-super tested out yet. I've been using the Qt6 version for a long time, had no issues, but your mileage may vary. Qt6 is basically the newer version of the graphical toolkit that qBittorrent uses. This is what makes the user interface possible - the thing you interact with basically.
Lt20 - The new libtorrent version. For me, again, works like a treat, but some people still find the older one working better. Libtorrent is like the engine of a car, it's responsible for doing the actual torrent work.

Normally, on a regular PC I just grab the Qt6+LT20 version and everything is fine. But you can hop around the versions, you don't lose any settings or downloads if you do so.

Hope this helps.