Resume data storage type SQLite fast and stable?

Windows specific questions, problems.
S.H.Bouwhuis

Resume data storage type SQLite fast and stable?

Post by S.H.Bouwhuis »

I have a lot of torrents, and it takes quite a while for QBittorrent to shut down. I heard using SQLite solves this problem.

1. How experimental/stable is the SQLite resume storage?
2. Is the SQLite implementation indeed faster than the 'fastresume files'?
S.H.Bouwhuis

Re: Resume data storage type SQLite fast and stable?

Post by S.H.Bouwhuis »

No one knows this feature? Aren't there any Qbittorrent 'experts' here on the forum?
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

1) It is experimental as it says. Use it if you don't mind crashes, data loss, etc.
2) Yes, it is much faster.
S.H.Bouwhuis

Post by S.H.Bouwhuis »

Crashes and data loss?!? Who would want that?!?!??!?!?!?
This feature has been in QBittorrent for years now, right? If something was wrong, wouldn't it have been found by now? Or is literally nobody using this?

I'm tempted to try it out, but you saying it causes data loss scares me. Crashes are one thing, but data loss causes irreversible harm.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

I am using it. But I've seen people's tickets on the tracker, they still run into issues here and there. It's not common, but there is a reason why it's marked Experimental.

"Crashes are one thing, but data loss causes irreversible harm."
Well, it's torrent, you can always re-check data and just start over your qBittorrent, it's nothing catastrophic. This is why I'm on it. I can just pop back my torrents folder and it'll recheck and all is well.

"This feature has been in QBittorrent for years now"
Well, the default database works great for thousands of torrents and has no issues. So that's why that's the default. Most users simply don't even need the SQLite database. Including myself. It's only needed if you run crazy high amounts of torrents, from my experience.
S.H.Bouwhuis

Post by S.H.Bouwhuis »

I've turned it on, and it's running fine (so far) with about 1'000 torrents. Unfortunately, I don't really see a big improvement on shutting down Qbittorrent; it still takes about 30 seconds. This is way too long for Windows, which kills processes well before that when restarting or shutting down.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

S.H.Bouwhuis wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:55 pm I've turned it on, and it's running fine (so far) with about 1'000 torrents. Unfortunately, I don't really see a big improvement on shutting down Qbittorrent; it still takes about 30 seconds. This is way too long for Windows, which kills processes well before that when restarting or shutting down.
For me, startup speed improved a lot, and just general stability. But I am speaking about well over 10,000 torrents.
Shutdown is "slow" because it has to save all the data, write it out to the disk. It's basically just bottlenecked by your storage.
S.H.Bouwhuis

Post by S.H.Bouwhuis »

Why is there any data to save?!?
I'm talking about the situation where I'm only seeding torrents. So, why can't Qbittorrent simply abruptly/instantly stop without writing a whole bunch of data to disk?