Web UI says DHT is disabled, nodes still showing on the status bar

Other platforms, generic questions.
brightbeach7865

Web UI says DHT is disabled, nodes still showing on the status bar

Post by brightbeach7865 »

Hi all,

I'm looking to apply as an uploader on a private tracker and one of their stipulations is that DHT is disabled. I have disabled it in the UI, restarted the app and the torrent detail says that it is disabled, however the status bar still says that I'm connected to 383 nodes.

What is going on here? Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Using version 4.5.1

Thanks!
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Web UI says DHT is disabled, nodes still showing on the status bar

Post by Peter »

Don't do anything, don't worry about it.

Torrents have a so called "private torrent" flag, which you simply tick when you create the torrent (AND) their software also ticks it when you actually upload a .torrent file to them*.

This flag in the file disables all p2p stuff like DHT.
So don't worry about it.

On private trackers it works like this:
1) You prepare all the data, info, whatever about the upload.
2) You create the .torrent file via qBittorrent or any other software.
3) DO NOT seed this torrent, DO NOT add this torrent to your client. You only need this file to upload it.
4) Open the tracker's website, and complete your upload by filling out every little detail, spending insane amounts of time re-reading the Wiki, Rules, and everything.
5) Once all is filled out and done, click Upload, and your torrent will appear in your browser.
6) Now download this file, and add it to your client, and start seeding it. If your client tries to download it, your download path is not a perfect match.

And that's it. So basically you upload this empty .torrent file, and the tracker fills it out with the passcode and other bits and bobs. And that's why you have to download the .torrent from the site, once you are done with everything, and this is why you can't just start seeding the file you created.