qBittorrents seeding protocol

Other platforms, generic questions.
zzz3

qBittorrents seeding protocol

Post by zzz3 »

Hi guys.

So up untill recently i had a 40mbps upload speed and qBittorrent is the program which consumes the most upload bandwith on my network. Using some tools on my desktop i have noticed that my upload speed would vary from 5mbps all the way up to 40mbps but average out on about 10-15mbps.

Recently however i have upraded my internet plan to a whopping 1gbps upload speed. By doing the same analysis as beforei found out that my current upload speeds vary between 20mbps and 120mbps and average out on about 40mbps.

My question is: why is it that with my new speeds my average upload speed is the same as the maximum speed i had a while back? Why couldnt my bandwith be used to its full potential while i had only 40mbps upload? Does it have to do with the way qBittorrent divides seeders' bandwith to the people downloading?

Thanks in advance :D
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: qBittorrents seeding protocol

Post by Peter »

qBittorrent is p2p.
Peer-to-peer.

What that means? You upload to people, and you download to people. (Well, it's called peer because each client you see in a swarm can be a computer, server, whatever, you get the idea.)

Point is, you only can upload if..
- peers NEED your upload speed. if it's well-seeded enough, they don't need more bandwidth.
- peers HAVE enough download speed. they might only have 10mbps download speed, so even though you have a lot of upload, they can't download any faster.

What you can do to seed more?
- use the RSS option on the website and "race". your client will grab new torrents (depending on what you specify on RSS) and then upload as much as possible. this is pretty much a circlejerk of wasting data and electricity and hardware, but thanks to old time, obsolete torrent tracker rules, this strategy is very much alive and well. this is why renting a seedbox for a mere week or month can buffer you up for enough upload for a lifetime, if a tracker is using obsolete rules.
- seed a lot of torrents. this is usually not a good strategy as it results in a lot of disk space used up.