incredibly slow DL speeds with >100gb files

Windows specific questions, problems.
filan12

incredibly slow DL speeds with >100gb files

Post by filan12 »

ive looked all over but i just cant find an explanation (also im not very technical, so it might have sth to do with that). i have a dualboot setup arch-windows, with qbittorrent installed on both. i have a big file (120gb) that whenever i add it to arch's qbittorrent freezes the client and i can't kill the process via pkill, system monitor etc... so i said whatever ill download it on windows.
adding it works fine, i'm not seeding or downloading anything at the moment, so nothing should interfere, my windows is mostly lobotomized (but nothing inhibiting network/connections) so theres not much happening in the background and i'm using all default qbittorrent settings. the torrent itself has >200 seeders, and similarly sourced but smaller files (<5gb) download just fine.
when i first added the torrent a few days ago, for a few minutes the download was as expected, at about 20mbit/s, but the speed dropped down drastically, and no matter how much i restart, reboot, downgrade (4.1.9.1 and 4.2.1) the speed seems stuck at ~400kbit/s

heres the information im supposed to give according to github:
connection speed: 45-60mbis/s as measured by speedtest . net
qbit version: 4.6.2
windows version: 10 Home, Version 22H2
Settings info:
libtorrent version: 1.2.19.0, no proxy or vpn, 288 DHT nodes, no direct connections (no idea what this means or what i should change)
other:
im downloading the file to a portable samsung ssd connected via usb, as i dont have enough space on my machine
this is a fresh install, with no prior DLs and one 1.5gb file seeding, no other tasks are running while qbittorrent is open
the disk usage of the ssd never exceeds 10%
i tried different libtorrent settings:
changing the async i/o threads to 4 * my physical threads (or something like that honestly i dont really understand it)
increasing the disk cache (-1, 52mb, 128mb, 1024mb)
enabling/disabling os cache for io read/write
changing the connection speed limits
none of that changed anything

and yknow im not really looking for a solution, the file is gonna download eventually, but i don't understand why when downloading the arch linux iso torrent for example, the speeds reach 10mbit/s. thats infuriating, so id be grateful for any further assistance, or an explanation
-milo