its on strike

Windows specific questions, problems.
bunglebob

its on strike

Post by bunglebob »

Hi, I am very much a novice so please forgive any ignorant comments.
I run latest prog of QB on w10 in Edge. I have used QB for about 6 months and still have unfinished downloading from back then ranging fron 1% up to 98.9 completed.Maybe one or two will finish each day.In total I have 76 like this. I pause about 90% in the hope tha those left will complete but most of the time nothing moves.
I normally choose a movie or series each day to copy and often these download very quickly but if not it will join the others in being dormant.
I just know I am doing something wrong, or have the incorrect set-up.

I would be so grateful if someone would plase help in idiots language so that I can get on and download. TIA
bob2306

Re: its on strike

Post by bob2306 »

Old torrents are often slow and intermittently seeded - think yourself lucky that 1 or 2 a day are completing.

Don't pause them, enable queueing, setup the section "do not count slow torrents in these limits", set "max active downloads" to 2 and "max active torrents" to a few hundred.
bunglebob

Post by bunglebob »

Hi, Many thanks for the detailed info, much appreciated
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

bunglebob wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:20 pm Hi, I am very much a novice so please forgive any ignorant comments.
I run latest prog of QB on w10 in Edge. I have used QB for about 6 months and still have unfinished downloading from back then ranging fron 1% up to 98.9 completed.Maybe one or two will finish each day.In total I have 76 like this. I pause about 90% in the hope tha those left will complete but most of the time nothing moves.
I normally choose a movie or series each day to copy and often these download very quickly but if not it will join the others in being dormant.
I just know I am doing something wrong, or have the incorrect set-up.

I would be so grateful if someone would plase help in idiots language so that I can get on and download. TIA
You can always add new trackers to them, if they are public torrents.
This project by one of the developers of qBittorrent is just for that: https://github.com/ngosang/trackerslist
Simply open the "trackers_all.txt" file and click Raw. But here is the direct link to save y'all an extra click: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ngosa ... rs_all.txt

Simply copy all that and you can go into each affected torrent, right-click -> add trackers and paste it all there.
It may or may not help.

Bonus: You can select ALL of them, right click and Edit Trackers to do this.
bob2306

Post by bob2306 »

Peter wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:05 pmte]
There's a lot of advocacy for this, but I've yet to hear a good argument for why it's useful. Modern clients don't need trackers at all for public torrents. In any case the great majority of public torrents die before their last tracker anyway. On the off-chance I might be missing something I have tried it and I've yet to see it make any difference.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

bob2306 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:49 pm
Peter wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:05 pmte]
There's a lot of advocacy for this, but I've yet to hear a good argument for why it's useful. Modern clients don't need trackers at all for public torrents. In any case the great majority of public torrents die before their last tracker anyway. On the off-chance I might be missing something I have tried it and I've yet to see it make any difference.
DHT and PEX is hit and miss. For me, the trackerlist saved my behind so many times I lost count. Seriously, it "revived" hundreds of torrents for me. However, if you rely on DHT a lot, you might want to give BiglyBT a try which has two DHT in-built.
bob2306

Post by bob2306 »

Peter wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:14 am DHT and PEX is hit and miss. For me, the trackerlist saved my behind so many times I lost count. Seriously, it "revived" hundreds of torrents for me. However, if you rely on DHT a lot, you might want to give BiglyBT a try which has two DHT in-built.
When you say that it has revived hundreds of torrents, how sure are you that it's cause and effect? I've always suspected that this is just a post hoc fallacy, given that stuck torrents commonly complete spontaneously.

In my experience DHT peers are only rarely needed outside of trackerless torrents. Most torrents have working trackers and most of those that have lost their original set are dead anyway. This makes it hard to gauge the effectiveness of DHT, but I find that Kad is very effective in amule despite having a harder job. DHT would have to be very badly broken to make a difference, being randomly hit and miss would just delay a download.

I find that almost all long-term stalled torrents still have working trackers, so I don't see that there is much scope for a major improvement anyway.