Uploads when only seeding are rare and slow

If you run qBittorrent in / with Docker.
Undertaker666

Uploads when only seeding are rare and slow

Post by Undertaker666 »

Hello, I'll start by saying my setup is quite complex, so if you want, you can skip the next part where I explain it.

I have a docker qBittorrent, in portainer, so I have a macvlan and a network with just the QB's ip in the host network. All of that is sitting behind an OpenWrt router, both the router and QB have UPNP enabled (I tried port-forwarding and had even less success with uploads.)

My issue:
When I download, I get max connection speed down, and decent uploads on those active downloading torrents.
When I am seeding, the uploads are very rare, and mostly sit at most a third of my actual upload speed, and even that for less than a few minutes.

The torrents have peers, and are active, when I look at the peer list I see peers popping in for a few seconds then going away. Same thing when I force reannounce, the list fills, then after about 30 seconds, they go away.

The connection icon does not say firewalled at those times, so it's not that, and as I mentioned, sometimes uploads do stick for a while. My limits are quite high so it's not a connection limit, and I went through all the settings in the advanced menu, nothing seem to make it stick.

Anyone has any advice for this case? Had a similar experience?
Thanks in advance and have a great day!
Zoloft

Re: Uploads when only seeding are rare and slow

Post by Zoloft »

Despite your assertion, you will overall get much better upload with your port forwarded.

Beyond that, this is very normal behavior in torrents. One of two things is likely happening, neither of which is a "fixable" problem.

First, there are enough seeds, so your upload is simply not needed. The clients/trackers will chose the seeds/peers with the best routing and speed to give the downloaders what they need. If the downloaders are getting all the data they need from other peers, you are simply not needed. The connection is always being checked, which is why you will occasionally get a brief blip of upload, but if the client still says, "nope, not better than what I've already got!" it will move on. Sometimes YOU will be the person with the best available speed and routing, sometimes, especially when there are a lot of seeds, you will not.

Second, people who are part seeding. Let's say you have a torrent of a movie, and that movie folder includes a sample. Many people will chose not to download that sample file. When this happens, they will still always show as peers, never seeds, because they do not have 100% of the file. But, they do have all they want, so there is nothing to upload to them.

Bottom line is, do not expect, just because you see what you think are peers, that you will always get upload, the reality is no where near that. You are doing your part by seeding, that's great, you will be there when the next guy who needs you comes along.
Undertaker666

Re: Uploads when only seeding are rare and slow

Post by Undertaker666 »

Look, I've been using qB for over a decade now. I used it on many host machines and behind many router configs.

This is not the case. Port forward was not connecting at all to people for uploads.
Plus, both your theories fall apart when you consider what I wrote, when there's an active download the seeding works just fine (for that torrent at least). So it is a connection thing.