seeding a file while metadata are missing?

Windows specific questions, problems.
jackdaniels

seeding a file while metadata are missing?

Post by jackdaniels »

hi, I've got an 8gb file already and the torrent file is missing. Tried a magnet link but it's still searching for the metadata. Which is a shame as I have the file and can share on broadband. I've set the location. This worked with other files which I've moved to a new SSD, but these work on torrent files.

What's missing with a magnet link, that can or cannot be repaired? It gives several peers in the waiting. Searching for the #hash code didn't lead me to the individual torrent file. Any chance of tweaking the magnet link?
bob2306

Re: seeding a file while metadata are missing?

Post by bob2306 »

With a torrent file the metadata is in the file, with a magnet link you have to get it from a peer that already has it. Without a torrent file all you can do is wait.
lostcowboy

Post by lostcowboy »

Have you tried searching by the name of the file as it shows in qBittorrent? If you get lucky you will get one or more websites that you can go to and hopefully, the hash file will match on one of them, and you can download the torrent file. If you get a torrent file, start the torrent and then stop it, you can now move your 8GB file to the new location. Restart the torrent, right-click on it, and do a "force recheck", If everything matches up the torrent will complete and start seeding.

Another thing you can try is adding trackers to the file. I don't know if that will help.
bob2306

Post by bob2306 »

lostcowboy wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:33 pm Have you tried searching by the name of the file as it shows in qBittorrent? If you get lucky you will get one or more websites that you can go to and hopefully, the hash file will match on one of them, and you can download the torrent file. If you get a torrent file, start the torrent and then stop it, you can now move your 8GB file to the new location. Restart the torrent, right-click on it, and do a "force recheck", If everything matches up the torrent will complete and start seeding.
The OP already has the file, but it can't be verified and seeded without the metadata. The hash in a magnet link isn't a file hash, it verifies the correctness of the metadata.
lostcowboy

Post by lostcowboy »

Sorry about this late reply. I understand the OP has the file but no Torrent file. I understand he found a magnetic URL for the file, but it wasn't working. My suggestion was if he can find the torrent file that matches his file, he can start a download with it, even if it has no seeds. he then stops the torrent and transfers the file he has to the folder where the torrent file is trying to download. restart the torrent, and have the torrent verify the file. If it works the torrent will show as complete and should start seeding.

Here is an example of a public domain file. A few years back I found and downloaded the file that is on this web page http://seanconnell.net/electric-sheep-in-4k
But he had stopped seeding it. I had the file.
Over at https://archive.org/details/4ksheep2642 ... peed1Bv45M is the same file, but they use torrent files not magnet URLs.
I downloaded the torrent file to qBittorrent and started the download and then stopped it. I moved my copy of the file to the new folder and did a force recheck then restarted the torrent as archive.org adds a few miscellaneous files. The torrent changed to completed, so that worked, and I did not have to re-download the 40.83GB file. I then went back to the magnet link and had qBittorrent put it into the same folder, again stopped the torrent and did a force recheck and it changed to completed. So now I am seeding both from one file on my pc.