Seeded torrents slow to pick up after file move

Windows specific questions, problems.
Rec0n

Seeded torrents slow to pick up after file move

Post by Rec0n »

Hey all,
Yesterday I put a couple of spare HDDs together into a Drive Pool (StableBit) so I have just one drive for all of my seeding files.
I run with a private tracker (IPT) and everything was working fine until I moved the files manually instead of just editing their location in qbt - I know, I learned my lesson - use the Edit Location function to move them for me next time...

Anyway, after much dicking about and finally getting all the folders where I wanted them etc, I found that the vast majority of my 90 torrents are not beginning to seed again.

Triple checked all my folder locations etc - all are correct but I simply have little to no seeders. I often grabbed new, large files to seed back to boost my points on the tracker and I would generally stack on 80 or so points per 24hrs, so there was some serious activity. Now nada.

Question is, do trackers usually take a while to re-identify me as a seed source or should they just snap back into action as they were before the file move?

I am stumped.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Seeded torrents slow to pick up after file move

Post by Peter »

"Question is, do trackers usually take a while to re-identify me as a seed source or should they just snap back into action as they were before the file move?"

That's not how it works. The client simply reports to the tracker that you have the files and people will connect to you. So every hour, minute and second will be different. It all depends on how the swarm is. If it has enough seeders and speed, you might not be able to seed at all. When you were seeding before, your upload was needed. Later, it was not needed as much.

If you are seeding popular torrents, you might need to keep thousands of them so you can upload something.

On big sites, "racing" is the way to buffer usually. Meaning you subscribe to the RSS and try to download new things as quick as possible and build buffer by seeding to other racers. It's all just wasting electricity, hardware to pump up a stupid number in SQL - but hey, a lot of trackers still prefer it this way. Of course your home PC storage and network might not be the best for this. Sometimes renting a capable seedbox is way better. They usually have RAID0/RAID10 SSD arrays and up to 10-20gbps uplink and just one week or a month is enough to build a buffer for the lifetime of your account/tracker.

Yes, you should always seed what you download to keep the torrent and site alive. But I also recognize the struggle of staying above ratio requirements. Ie.: if you just grab popular big torrents, you won't be able to seed back 1% of it.
Rec0n

Post by Rec0n »

Hi Peter,

Prior to the HDD changes, it was all working perfectly. I only hung onto high yielding torrents (with a lot of leechers chasing the file) and used that method to accumulate points on my tracker. When they dwindled off, I would also drop them, or not. If I was one of 2 or 3 seeders I would leave it as I have the space to do so. Just being a good neighbor on the private tracker.

My issue is that I now have zero upload activity on the qbt app. As you can see on the attachment, there is nothing uploading, despite there being some peers listed. Prior to the changes on Friday night, this showed several connections and some upload speed activity - now there is nothing.

I changed no other settings in qbt apart from the file locations.

I even tried to add a file from IPT just now but it refused to collect it from the nominated folder. Very strange.
It is like there is a residual hold on all the wrong file locations and nothing works.

So far I have reinstalled the latest version of qbt and rebooted the pc it runs on - nothing.
Attachments
seeding1.jpg
seeding1.jpg (108.35 KiB) Viewed 250 times
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Yeah but there are no downloads (as in peers) on any of those torrents there.
Try adding a Linux torrent, or something from Nyaa that's "needed". You'll seed plenty.

Try the racing method, you can do it on your own PC too if you have enough storage + internet.
Rec0n

Post by Rec0n »

I know - all my high yield seed files are gone now when I buggered up the folder move.

Fact is I had torrents that had uploaded over 60Gb (23 of them) that I had been seeding for months (my racing method is more manual and opportunistic. I dont want every file, just some so I choose them myself. I literally just grabbed a file that was 34 seconds old just now it had 1 seeder and 54 leechers - so I will monitor that one. My problem isn't understanding what to do to seed files, my problem is that they do not seed only after changing over my HDDs and updating the file locations in qbt.

I have attached a shot of the three current downloads and they have zero upload on them despite there being plenty of peers. Whenever I download a file I generally get at least a few Mb of uploads but low it is zero.

ftr, under Peers, what does the number and then the bracketed number mean exactly? I understood it was actual connections (potential connections)
Attachments
2024-03-10 23_27_23-torrent.jpg
2024-03-10 23_27_23-torrent.jpg (33.99 KiB) Viewed 237 times
Rec0n

Post by Rec0n »

I think I am fine now - the seeds appear to be building up again at a reasonable rate.

I think I may have been distracted by my total Gb uploads and missing the fact that they had basically stopped over a few months.

thanks for the input :)