uTorrent - OH GOD THE ADS! ITS EVERYWHERE!!!!!11

For the generic offtopic chit-chat
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: uTorrent - OH GOD THE ADS! ITS EVERYWHERE!!!!!11

Post by Nemo »

Here is a bit more information about how it should work if interested:
http://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-downloads-ddos-140220/.

And this interesting article:
http://www.bittorrent.org/beps/bep_0040.html

Maybe its already implented into libtorrent years ago, who knows.
Last edited by Nemo on Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

[quote="Nemo"]...[/quote]

Upgraded my old install to check.
- Had 4 popups from NOD about various bundled adware crap
- uTorrent now installs fishy toolbar and whatnot if you install it default.
- The sponsored (cough.. paid) movie is still there.
- Ads, ads, ads. (As far as I can tell you can disable them still.)
- More bugs.

What an improvement. To me, the 3.4 is just like 1.6 or so. It's the same client, same stuff, same features. With more sh.t added, that is.

@Canonical: Vuze users already picked it up too: http://forum.vuze.com/thread.jspa?messageID=281113
I hope Arvid will port it to his own library as well. Hate it when they fragment the swarm. Remember when BitLord messed up every upload? Damn.
Last edited by Peter on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Yes you can disable almost all the ads but the Facebook/Twitter and now also Bittorrent labs icons stays forever at the right corner. It just doesn't feel right. Why don't they just keep all the crap on Bittorrent and leave uTorrent clean? They are identical? Maybe because of the user database; more people that its using it, more ads that can be shown. Also not everyone disables them, only people who knows about it and searched for it to disable certain advanced settings.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Because BitTorrent doesn't/didn't have the same size userbase that uTorrent has/had, uT had built up a large user following because it was popular as a small footprint client with minimal features that wasted resources.
gwarser

Post by gwarser »

[quote="Nemo"]...
[/quote]

I believe so https://code.google.com/p/libtorrent/so ... ail?r=7790 :)
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

[quote="gwarser"]
[quote="Nemo"]...
[/quote]

I believe so https://code.google.com/p/libtorrent/so ... ail?r=7790 :)
[/quote]

This seems to be only in trunk (1.0.x) and not in the 0.16.x branch.
However, Arvid has stated recently that 1.0.x is nearing release.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

UTORRENT MAKES ADVERTISEMENT UNREMOVABLE IN LATEST RELEASE

This week a new version of uTorrent was released, one that is expected to disappoint a large subset of the clients' users. The latest release no longer includes a setting to disable the ad in the left corner of the app, an option that was made available in the client after a previous user revolt.

http://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-makes-advertisement-unremovable-in-latest-release-140602/
With 3.4.2 its impossible to get rid of the ads. On the view tab disabling the plus information box is gone and also the tweaks in order to get rid of the ads within the advanced settings are removed. The same way of releasing methods continuing like no changelogs, "stables" betas nightlys being released on daily bases completely mixed up, bugs are still there and its getting more instead being fixed, probably many more things that I can add to the list.

Im wondering how long the users will accept all this. Some are rioting already in their forums but there is always a group of people who like the way it is while it clearly isn't.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

It isn't that "nightly" builds were always released to the 'stable' CDN, it is their CVS that allows any developer to push out forked "test" builds to the CDN which are often out of sequence or not synchronised with the main trunk, so 'bugs' that have been fixed in one build came back two or three build numbers later.

Refreshing the CDN just to see how many different build numbers you could download in ten minutes could be quite entertaining.

I did pose the "Did you also build your own CVS" question, which didn't really go down that well :)

They don't seem to understand that if their "flagship product" isn't up to scratch nothing they do will be automatically "trusted".
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

The user commented: No comment.
Last edited by Nemo on Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

[quote="Nemo"]

The user commented: No comment.
[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA.
Can you give a link to that thread? I want to read everyone's comments/reactions.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

There are several of them going back a couple of years, I even wrote a thread (complete with pictures for the average uTorrent user) on how NOT to install the adware.

Not that any of them bothered to read it of course. :)
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

There isn't any comment to it yet, it seems to be ignored I guess :P.. Here is the thread: http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/88339-34x-beta/page-44#entry491518.

Im looking there now and then (same for other clients, out of curiosity) on how it goes and only thing I see is people rioting about the broken builds, several UI changes that aren't welcome and also all the beta/stable builds are being released mixed up, no changelogs and so on. Complete madness if you ask me.
Last edited by Nemo on Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

all the beta/stable builds are being released mixed up,
That's been happening for a few years, their CVS allows any developer to release branch "test builds" to the 'stable' delivery network for "testing", even if their 'branch' is 'behind' the main trunk.
So they get situations where one developer fixes a bug and pushes it out, then another dev  pushes out a build where the 'bug' hasn't been fixed, the 'changelog' is never up to date because nobody is quite sure what has actually changed. Considering they are a paid developer team, they are woefully disorganised in the haste to get to wherever it is they are going.
zeomal

Post by zeomal »

Oh, so that's why Google's Chrome has blocked downloading µTorrent by saying that it is a malicious and harmful program!
Meh.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

[quote="ZeoMal"]
Oh, so that's why Google's Chrome has blocked downloading µTorrent by saying that it is a malicious and harmful program!
Meh.
[/quote]

Ah that too :o.. Funny to read the comments about the article.
Last edited by Nemo on Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.