uTorrent - OH GOD THE ADS! ITS EVERYWHERE!!!!!11

For the generic offtopic chit-chat
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: uTorrent - OH GOD THE ADS! ITS EVERYWHERE!!!!!11

Post by Nemo »

A new tab has been added called ''Recommended'', look how nice that looks:

Oh wait, I got a few more pictures FROM the users that have them posted. Take a look :D!
At this rate this is what uTorrent 4.0 will look like:
Another one:

And another one again:
They might as well add this advertisement fiasco as a Times Square Billboard..
Enjoy hahah :D.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

I can't understand why people like rafi, Beasley, AUDI-A4 even bother complaining any more, their comment are being, and always will be completely disregarded by BitTorrent management. They seem to be hanging on in some vain hope that  Ludvig Strigeus will have a revelation and will wrench back the uTorrent reins from the BitTorrent inc accountants and the "good old days" will return.
Guys, I have news for you, ... ... it is not going to happen. The uTorrent of old is never coming back. What you have now is NOT going to get any better, BTs plan is to be THE choice when the entertainment industry finally accepts that BitTorrent downloading is not going to go away and they [the industry] have to accept that using it to their advantage is the best way to go. The BT inc aim is to have the userbase numbers that will give them the bargaining power when it comes to setting the price for leasing/selling the streaming rights to BitTorrent/uTorrent clients.

User concerns are of no interest to them while ever they keep whinging but keep on using. BT inc will only wake up when their userbase starts dwindling. I said it a couple of times there, it is revolution not rhetoric that will bring about change in that particular autocracy.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Its being destroyed from inside out which is clearly visible. I know what they are thinking (the devs): ''Add more and more crap but fixing.. No, no time for fixing, we need more money. And we also don't care about what our users are thinking, they must accept every crap we put into it''.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

The developers are just "wage slaves", they have little choice but to do what management wants, and the management want things that are good for the 'bottom line' on the balance sheets. Actually 'fixing' anything takes a very low priority unless it causes problems with the revenue generation features.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

A sidenote: I see a lot of bloat already in the tabs: Why the hell you need the ratings, related, updates tabs?
Too much tabs/options at one place. Average users will think of this UI as somewhat complex IMO.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

It's all part of the masterplan

Updates are for BEP 0039

Ratings has been there a long while but is pretty useless as information in the client but people do use it, and complain about it frequently when it is scrolled quickly. (There's a simple answer to that 'problem' people)
Average users will think of this UI as somewhat complex IMO.

Actually the 'average' user seems to prefer the Windows paradigm of "Cram every thing you can into it. Then, just when you think it is enough, ... ... Squeeze some more in"!!

Simple and functional causes confusion, because they want to know how they can write a letter, burn a DVD, and read their email all without changing  applications.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

ciaobaby wrote:
Average users will think of this UI as somewhat complex IMO.

Actually the 'average' user seems to prefer the Windows paradigm of "Cram every thing you can into it. Then, just when you think it is enough, ... ... Squeeze some more in"!!

Simple and functional causes confusion, because they want to know how they can write a letter, burn a DVD, and read their email all without changing  applications.
Thats always has been a problem that some people want more of their client instead using it for torrenting purposes only. In the past we had some ''great ideas' also from various users that wanted to have a movie player build in or things like that. Im totally against to all these things. If you want to burn go use a burning program, watch your movies with a media player, use a stand alone antivirus and things like that. It will always result in bloat no matter what once its been build in.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

The Linux paradigm of just do one thing and do it well has always been the better way and is why Linux system are pretty much immune to malware, the more disparate functions that are "plugged in" the more likely it is that exploitable flaws will be found. Closed source developers often have this idea that they can find them before  outside forces do, but I think we all know the answer to that one.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

uTorrent.exe is being blocked by Chrome (my browser) cause its dangerous.

uTorrent 3.4 is distributing adware now?

Recently, Google has deemed the service uTorrent to be malicious and has blocked users from using it in Google Chrome.

Those who try to download the client in Chrome will get an error message claiming that uTorrent 3.4 is dangerous. The browser keeps the download from finishing. Google claims in its Safe Browsing diagnostic page that the uTorrent.com site has been caught distributing malware over the last few months.

It’s certainly unusual for Google Chrome to block the download and installation of a Torrent client, but if you believe Google, uTorrent certainly earned it this time by having a considerable amount of nasty malware that installs on your computer as soon as you install it or update the client.

Some people say that the adware only installs if you agree to the “special offers” in the installation window, but others say that they happen anyway no matter what you do.

The adware goes to Troji.com, and it is particularly difficult to remove from your computer because it locks down a lot of the ways you would have to remove it normally. For example, the adware pop s p on your screen and you can’t get rid of it unless you click “yes” for it to download a lot more garbage onto your computer.

There’s also a “safe websearch” toolbar that gets installed and makes it difficult to access extensions in order to uninstall it.

Some of the claims Google is making, include that uTorrent has been hacked and is no longer actually safe for people to download.

Google also of course sites the normal reasons for banning Torrent programs in that they are used to download files illegally, and so on. This is not necessarily the case however, since it’s perfectly possible to download files that are completely free and completely legal using programs like uTorrent.

Source: http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2014/07/utorrent-3-4-is-distributing-adware-now/
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

It's not particularly that Google has decided that it is malicious, it's just that the Chrome  users who don't bother reading dialogues and simply install it blindly along with the 'bundled software'  then mark it as "spyware".

Chrome itself comes bundled with it's own "add-on" in the form of the  fairly useless McAfee "Virus Scan" which is a sales lead generator. BitTorrent have simply gone for the highest paying "Pay per install" software bundles. Which of course are also the ones that have the worst reputation, simply because they are the "weapon of choice" for so many "earn money online" Click Bank/Commission Junction gonnabee millionaires.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

I think that these days you need to becareful with anything you are installing (Open Source is also no guarrentee to be clean). As you say ciao, most of the time the fault is from the user itself by not looking good enough by unchecking the bloat and resulting in an infected system with adware (of any kind). Probably nobody would believe if I would say that my system has been clean for years without any adware/spyware/virus or anything and I can tell you that isn't hard to accomplish if you know what you're doing (the fact is most users don't know what they are doing) instead bashing next by every installation and accepting everything.

Now there is a difference by installing bloat right at the start of the installation and the bloat that stays in it on the main screen forever. Or both of course. Things like special offers or Conduit search toolbar from Vuze and not to forget the Twitter/Facebook icons or Bundles whatever its been called. Either way I don't like them both.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

In short, no extremely incompetent devs, no more bugs generated that ones fixed, no extreme bloat. Especially the bloat keeps increasing in each version. Thank me later.

What I don't understand.... Since there's so clean and well working client ( qbitorrent ) why are you too so persistent on using ?torrent? It baffles me.
qBittorrent is being advertised and advised as a good alternative by their own users at their own forum lol.
Papanikles

Post by Papanikles »

utorrent new versions sucks. QBT is the future... With advantage that is opensource!
glassdude007

Post by glassdude007 »

Greetings first post from another ex-Utorrent user...
got hit/stuck with zensearch.com adware was the final straw
all cleaned up now I hope..
cheers
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Welcome :)!