For the generic offtopic chit-chat
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: uTorrent - OH GOD THE ADS! ITS EVERYWHERE!!!!!11

Post by Nemo »

Someone posted at their forum;

How is that possible.. ;D.

Shitty Facebook/Twitter/Android icons are still there it seems. Why would one need them in a torrent client, seriously. The ones who like to be connected with the world 24/7 with all social networks because its not possible to use your browser (and to go to uTorrent pages manually) to go there if you want to? No wait, lets put it there for the lazy people so they have fast acces to our pages.

And not to forget the ones who like to have a mediaplayer/device/antivirus/pdf reader/office/rating/online watch/chat client/browser/all in one solution lovers. 1 program for EVERYTHING, hell yea! Upgrade to Pro now!
Last edited by Nemo on Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nili

Post by Nili »

they think people are stupid for some reason? :| can't believe those social icons on p2p application. just stupid!
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

| can't believe those social icons on p2p application. just stupid!
Why?? Do you not consider peer to peer as being a social activity?
Nili

Post by Nili »

[quote="ciaobaby"]
Why?? Do you not consider peer to peer as being a social activity?
[/quote]

I just not consider facebook, twitter or android. P2P as we know is another story.
If i want to go for facebook or twitt we know where to put the url. I still consider stupid putting nonsense on uT.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

I just not consider facebook, twitter or android
Not consider them as what?
If i want to go for facebook or twitt we know where to put the url

I think you would be surprised at the amount of people who don't. "Google" is still one of the top search queries at Bing! in sheer numbers, simply because (mainly  IE where Bing! is the default search engine) users who type it into the search box instead of the navigation box.

Don't forget that BitTorrent inc are marketing to the average level of  uTorrent users, which, and with all the goodwill and leeway in the world, you could not say that they the brightest buttons in the box when it comes down to computer savvy. To be honest, from my time at the uTorrent forum I often wondered if some of them needed a Sherpa guide  to find their way back home when they ventured out into the big world.
You can say one thing for the BitTorrent inc. marketing team, they do know their users, and unlike the original uTorrent team, are not "in it" for the users. They are a business and all the business is there for is to make money and further the aspirations of the company.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Its good for them and their business thats true, but for the users its just wasted space with icons = bloat. Not everyone is using facebook or twitter (im not) so to see them there everytime you popup the client isn't the right way to somehow force those icons to get your attention. Before it was possible to remove them once you clicked on it, now that was a great idea for both business and users. Its permanent now and if you add the other bloat into it like bundles and ratings this small things make a one big bloat at the end.

Even if the P2P is somehow a "social activity" (not literally of course) it should be kept apart from the social networks. I for one don't want anything related with facebook or twitter while im using uTorrent. Im wondering whats more hidden inside their closed source code especially after v3.0+. It was very well possible to get to v2.2.1 without any bloat or broken settings and the business that was there at the moment (also closed source but the trust was there) but suddenly things has changed and money became more important than anything else and now you see how it became today the day.

Why its being used that much still? Well the program itself seems working fine, the main reason why people leave it is the bloat, or broken/not fixed settings as I said before.

The icons and every other bloat isn't needed at all, what counts now is business = money so for them its important and you as a user just have to deal with it like it or not. I think that the userbase is 2nd (or even 3rd) priority in the list at the moment for Bittorrent inc; they bought the big fish so all that counts now is money.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

From a marketing point of view, anything and everything where real people 'gather' to discuss a common interest is 'social'. Peer to peer networking REQUIRES that the participants are being sociable by allowing their machine and Internet bandwidth to be used by someone that may never know. 
Nili

Post by Nili »

[quote="ciaobaby"]Not consider them as what?[/quote]
You know opportunity to share with each other a .torrent file. No relation to the torrent service, or UNIX philosophy: Do One Thing & Do It Better Than Anyone Else.
uT, soon will be Vuze 2 clone
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

You know opportunity to share with each other a .torrent file
You are missing the point, presumably because you are not a marketer or have even been involved in Internet or Search marketing, so, allow me to shed the light of a marketing perspective on it.

It is NOT that FaceBook, Twitter, LinkedIn, et. al. are where anyone would send .torrent files via these channels. It is that these are the place where people 'talk' to each other about many things and where people "congregate" to talk about their shared or common interest. If you are into peer to peer file sharing then you WILL have friends and/or acquaintances that are also interested in peer to peer file sharing. Facebook, Twitter and Pintrest are peer to peer 'social' networking. The definition of "peer" is " A like-minded individual" or "Another individual of similar status". This is why you can; "Be tried by a jury of your peers" in court.

People talk about all manner of things on "social sites" and ONE of those topics IS going to be BitTorrent clients, so from that point of view it makes absolute sense for the icons to be there. Just because "YOU" don't 'do' social networking does not mean that tens of thousands of other uTorrent clients also do not. It is the "big picture" that you have to consider rather than your personal and rather insular view. Let's face it, if YOU had a product(s) to sell and had tens of thousands of people to market it to ... ... Wouldn't YOU be giving them every opportunity possible to 'spread the word' or purchase it themselves??
Nili

Post by Nili »

Personally still use IRC via command line, application Weechat.

My friends on private tracker also use IRC, we communicate each other through SSL protocol. We like it :)

Regarding facebook and other social network spyware, really i don't need them at all nor I want to see their icons on my torrent application.

All tracker that I use, no one using Facebook to promote their services, most do not have acc. How Facebook or other socialweb do has little importance for me, their promotion in my view have other purposes.

You know very well why uTorrent user come here for qBt ;)

uTorrent is bloatware application now, if not changing any time soon someone will end up with spyware on his computer.

Only "utserver" from uTorrent is worth clean client which i use day and night.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

All tracker that I use, no one using Facebook to promote their services, most do not have acc
You miss the point, it is NOT 'trackers' promoting THEIR services on Facebook or twitter, it is BitTorrent Inc. providing a means for their USERS to talk about BitTorrent/uTorrent via THEIR own personal "social connections". From a sales or marketing point of view NOTHING is more persuasive than a friend [real or an online acquaintance] recommending a product or service, THAT is what they are trying to hook in to.
if not changing any time soon someone will end up with spyware on his computer.
What do you mean 'some time soon' :D the majority of posts at their support forum WAS by or for people who had not paid attention to the "featured" products during installation and ended up with browser hijacking "toolbars" and "helpful" applications installed..
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

I think I should I add support for MySpace in the next version. That'll show them! [/sarcasm]
Nili

Post by Nili »

Since it is something normal, eligible for benefits? then do also qBt clone of uT or Vuze :| still really not care to catch uTorrent ads points. I have time for other interests.

uT on Windows is not to be trusted at all even though not installing ads, toolbars via install setup or turn off via settings, uT still is a spyware app
purchased by who knows whom and for what.

Only on Linux is a clean interface, just like in old times.

Happy new year 2015 qBt :D
Last edited by Nili on Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Hahahahahahaha.
Just decided to install it again.
1) The installer looks like some malware installer from 2005.
2) The EULA is really scary.
3) The "option" advanced settings - that allowed the users to hide/disable ads are GONE.
4) There is a McHuge MOVING ad banner on bottom-left now. Like those REALLY annoying and CPU intensive ads from Android 2.3 era.

Okay, but hey, you can just buy pro and call it a day, right?
After all, we are all used to buying softwares - so why not support the devs?
After clicking the Pro button, the price is "OK", but then the new IE Window appears.

> $19.95 per YEAR.
plus VAT.

No words.
It would make a pretty good satire, but sadly, this is the raw truth/reality.
Attachments
lol.jpg
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Not to forget the endless stable and beta releases going left and right crossing each other. Its like a Russian roulette to find the right release. Also it seems they are stuck with an endless loop on 3.4.x tree that looks forever.