uTorrent - OH GOD THE ADS! ITS EVERYWHERE!!!!!11

For the generic offtopic chit-chat
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: uTorrent - OH GOD THE ADS! ITS EVERYWHERE!!!!!11

Post by Peter »

Well there is like zero major change since uTP and the 3.x UI change - only new ads and crap gets pushed.
The only thing I liked, Skins for example, it's gone.
I know you can add skins the old fashioned way (probably), but I don't want to use the client anymore.
FliessendWasser

Post by FliessendWasser »

[quote="Peter"]
The only thing I liked, Skins for example, it's gone.
I know you can add skins the old fashioned way (probably), but I don't want to use the client anymore.
[/quote]

I remember times with µTorrent 2.2.1 and its apps. Along with the skins it was something else, something more special than today's µTorrent, sadly.
But once again we see that BitTorrent Inc. is out for nothing less than money, money and again: money.
Also I installed 2.2.1 on Win10, it looks perfectly fine, but I am too paranoid about possible security leaks, as the client is already about 5 years old.

And for now, no client out on the market, either outdated or not, can't beat qBittorrent. Period.
100%

Post by 100% »

[quote="brot0"]
And for now, no client out on the market, either outdated or not, can't beat qBittorrent. Period.[/quote]

Yeah, agreed. qBt is the best for sure.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

v3.3.0 will even be better ;).
FliessendWasser

[quote="Nemo"]
v3.3.0 will even be better ;).
[/quote]

Tested the beta for some time, so far it was really nice. Besides, is there a new beta version out than the one from August 4?
According to GitHub some big things are coming towards us, if I am not mistaken.  ;D
dragons4life

Post by dragons4life »

Still has the best looking interface out of any torrent imo. also there are ways to remove the ads.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Still has the best looking interface out of any torrent imo.
Agree till a certain degree but that comes down to personal taste. I like how qBittorrent looks simple and clean, but I also like how uTorrent 2.2.1 looks and not so much after that. Not saying qBittorrent is perfect, infact there is always room for improvments.
also there are ways to remove the ads.
Facebook/Twitter icons aren't removable. Or the annoying ''upgrade to Plus'' buttons, or ''Bundles''. Left column is also too big and can't be resized, reason: The ad needs space.

Let all these be the reason why everyone searches for alternatives.

If you're okay with it use it, I always say use whatever fulfills your needs or where you feel comfortable with.
Last edited by Nemo on Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

[quote="dragons4life"]
Still has the best looking interface out of any torrent imo. also there are ways to remove the ads.
[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, how?
Back until this branch there was the "option" setting in Advanced.
Now they are gone.
They are not even in the hidden settings.
FliessendWasser

[quote="Peter"]
[quote="dragons4life"]
[/quote]

Now they are gone.
[/quote]

It takes a few seconds plus a restart of the program to disable all ads for me, plus activating the "pro"-skin they have (looks a little better imo).
They introduced the filter options at some point, probably the onliest plus they have from me  ;D
Just enter "offer" in the filter box, and set everything to "false" you can see. Also do the same with "upsell". For the skin, enter "pro" and search "gui.pro_installed". Then restart µTorrent to finally get rid of the ads. Then set your preferred configurations here and there (like "peer.resolve_country", my favorite setting), and you're done.
Side note: I still would not download something with µTorrent at this point, as I have the word "adware" in my mind when using µTorrent. It's some barricade I cannot climb over.  :(
And besides hiding this and that, some icons will stay, as Nemo mentioned already.

The UI is fair enough imo, as I got used to qBittorrent, but still prefer Deluge UI-wise. It looks more neutral, but again it is my opinion. Everyone likes other UIs, specifically looking on Tixati here.

However, looking on the work-around to disable the ads on µTorrent, I remember the "easy days" with µTorrent. Download, install, set this and that, and I was finished. Nowadays I apply this to qBittorrent rather than to µTorrent, which actually is a shame.

Besides: My AV (Avira AntiVir) first blocked the download of µTorrent on the official site. Coincidence?  :D
dragons4life

Post by dragons4life »

[quote="Peter"]
[quote="dragons4life"]
[/quote]

Now they are gone.
[/quote]
https://schizoduckie.github.io/PimpMyuTorrent/#/
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Know that trick, but still some things aren't removed with it. Thing is they are build in but are only hidden from your view. Use it if you want though.

About the other topic; downgrading isn't supported = no older versions are supported. I think its the same at uTorrent forums ;).
dragons4life

Post by dragons4life »

[quote="Nemo"]
Know that trick, but still some things aren't removed with it. Thing is they are build in but are only hidden from your view. Use it if you want though.

About the other topic; downgrading isn't supported = no older versions are supported. I think its the same at uTorrent forums ;).
[/quote]

I never tried the script but I heard is the best around, also thanks for the info.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

@brot0: Yeah I knew about this "offer" thing, but it's gone. It's not there anymore, in the latest versions.
Same for "upsell". They are simply removed.

@Dragons4life: Thanks for the url!
By the way this looks like a huge vulnerability... o.O
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

This is how uTorrent 3.4.5 Pro build 41202 (latest) looks like incase someone is wondering, see attachment.
Attachments
uTPro.png
dragons4life

Post by dragons4life »

[quote="Peter"]
@brot0: Yeah I knew about this "offer" thing, but it's gone. It's not there anymore, in the latest versions.
Same for "upsell". They are simply removed.

@Dragons4life: Thanks for the url!
By the way this looks like a huge vulnerability... o.O
[/quote]
I don't even know coding trying to learn c++ as my first thing right now, but it does kind of look like it.