Everything fine - Reboot Windows - Everything Not Fine

Windows specific questions, problems.
srg

Everything fine - Reboot Windows - Everything Not Fine

Post by srg »

So I have qBitTorrent running on Windows 7. I have a separate torrent disk which is encrypted with TrueCrypt. Everything was working fine - My Computer said I had plenty of free space on the drive, qBitTorrent was seeding and uploading data, I was downloading new data. No problems anywhere.

I rebooted the system because it had been a while, and you know how windows is if you go a long period of time without rebooting.

I remounted the drive in TrueCrypt. Started up qBitTorrent, and all of a sudden, everything explodes. qBT starts showing all these errors in the systray - "An IO error occured for torrent xxx error: unknown error" and "out of disk space" errors. So I opened My Computer and sure enough, absolutely 0 MB free space. This is a 2 TB drive, and immediately before the reboot, My Computer said I had several hundred GB free. I rechecked some torrents, and they all seem to be...well...gone. All the files are 0 bytes except for maybe 5 that rechecked successfully. I had many many torrents loaded up - they're all gone.

Anyone know what happened?
Last edited by srg on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
srg

Re: Everything fine - Reboot Windows - Everything Not Fine

Post by srg »

So I did some digging around on my HDD, and found most of the files. Not all of them, but most. Here's what I think happened:

For some reason, qBT somehow "lost" or forgot the paths I had my files saved, so when I restarted qBT, it tried to re-create all the blank data files all over again, thus eventually running out of disk space.

I had my files organized by site:
Torrents
    Site1
    Site2
    Site3
etc.....

Most of those files are there and it's rechecking 1+ TB again as we speak. But qBT recreated all the data files in the root of the drive, somehow "forgetting" the paths I had them saved in. I had to manually "Set Location" and then "Force Recheck"

What would cause qBT to forget the paths like that?
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

What version of qBittorrent were you using?

I've seen other similar reports here in the forum and I think there is a bug reported in the bug tracker. All say that somehow qbt forgot the path and was reset to default.
srg

Post by srg »

v3.0.6. At the time, I had been using v3.0.6 for quite a while. I upgraded to v3.0.8 immediately AFTER this happened.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

I believe this is the bug I was talking about: https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/313

If you want, subscribe to that bug to receive updates. Or to post more findings especially if it happens again with 3.0.8.
srg

Post by srg »

Thanks! I'll definitely update if it happens again.