Prevent standby while torrents are active?

Windows specific questions, problems.
way2handsome

Prevent standby while torrents are active?

Post by way2handsome »

Is there a setting in qBittorrent to prevent the computer from entering sleep or standby mode while torrents are active?
way2handsome

Re: [WIN] Prevent standby while torrents are active?

Post by way2handsome »

Thanks. I can set my computer itself to never go into standby. I just wondered if there was a setting within qBittorrent like the one uTorrent has.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Just open a wishlist ticket on Launchpad. It's not that hard to add this feature I guess. The problem comes with the cross-platform thingie. Windows is nice in this meaning, you can code it and it'll work .. okay.. 99% it'll work. On Linux.. you have so many different options and maybe only 1 works on each PC.. it's not easy.

As far as I know the WIN build is really just a build, there is no Win specific features (yet?). Wonder if they'll come later. I'd be glad to have such stuff. :)
christophe.dumez

Post by christophe.dumez »

No Windows specific feature ?
- File association
- Python interpreter detection and download/install

It is not much but I'm trying ;) The Windows version is really new but it will improve.
DasFox

Post by DasFox »

[quote=""way2handsome""]Is there a setting in qBittorrent to prevent the computer from entering sleep or standby mode while torrents are active?[/quote]

Why would you need a feature in a program like this when these are power management options built into the operating system to control. Let the OS control power management not a 3rd party application like this...

First off let me explain, I'm a PC Tech and a Geek and I've been up and down and all around on the subject of power management before with people. Simple response, it's a machine it was meant to be run and used, so leave it on and run it, don't put it in sleep or standby. Why because having the hardware and electronics going up and down all the time is just more wear and tear and if you're trying to save on your electric bill forget it unless you're talking about a company load of workstations or servers. If you need to save more money on an electric bill then make sure you are using a LCD monitor and if it's your computer buy a better energy saving power supply unit. When you're not using your computer just shut off the monitor but leave the computer running. And if you're going to use your computer several times a day but at different times of the day, then leave it running and just shut if off when you go to bed.

Do you think all those servers that run for years 24/7 are in sleep or standby mode? NOPE ;)

In a nutt shell you shouldn't put the computer to sleep or standby, it's stupid, unless you're in a public environment and you need to walk away from the computer then locking the screen is all you need to do.
way2handsome

Post by way2handsome »

[quote=""DasFox""]In a nutt shell you shouldn't put the computer to sleep or standby, it's stupid[/quote]

Tell you what: Don't tell me that what I want to do is stupid, and I will extend the same courtesy to you.
donnabowen

Post by donnabowen »

[quote=""christophe.dumez""]No Windows specific feature ?
- File association
- Python interpreter detection and download/install

It is not much but I'm trying ;) The Windows version is really new but it will improve.[/quote]
Ya it's very essential... you should try.. :roll: :?: :!:
twurtle

Re: Prevent standby while torrents are active?

Post by twurtle »

Has this been implemented yet?  My PC still goes to sleep while downloading (Windows).  and no I don't agree with the poster who calls sleep mode stupid.  I'm setup on a HTPC in the livingroom and I don't want the noise of the fan when its not in use.  This is a very basic yet extremely useful feature, it should be in there please.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Prevent standby while torrents are active?

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Are you using the latest version(3.1.9.2) and "inhibit system sleep when torrents are active"?