Too Many Builds

Windows specific questions, problems.
Onemoar

Too Many Builds

Post by Onemoar »

I REALLY recommend that the builds for windows be cleaned up there is way to many windows builds floating around here

what we should have is the following
32Bit 'testing' build built with libtorrent-SVN and latest `Unstable-GIT` (there is no reason that a torrent client should need to be 64bit its not and better and it causes a bunch of issues keept it 32bit for windows)

and the 'stable' build built with  the latest lib-torrent stable release and the latest stable QBT branch

thats it nothing else no unnecessary x64 builds no mulifork crap  currently I see 4 builds on webpage+forum and I am starting to see people come on complain of a issue that was fixed in one of the testing builds this needs to STOP its very bad for a project to have such fragmentation
Last edited by Onemoar on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tekko

Re: Too Many Builds

Post by tekko »

[quote="Onemoar"]
thats it nothing else no unnecessary x64 builds no mulifork crap 
[/quote]

It's weird that you're telling people to use the x64 version in the other posts. You should respect Dayman's work by not calling it crap.
Last edited by tekko on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Download page on the main site shows only 3.0.9 as stable which is the main release. We got Alpha, Stable and x64 topics. I mean, if you know what you want you can surely find it. Also not everyone visits the forums, just downloads the stable one and done. If you don't want to use x64 and call it crap thats your opinion but keep it for yourself instead disrespecting Dayman's work. Many prefer x64 builds on their x64 machine which is normal and Dayman made great builds. Don't use it if you don't want it I guess. And funny indeed to advise others to use Dayman's build after all.
Last edited by Nemo on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Onemoar

Post by Onemoar »

I am not disrespecting day-mans work and I never stated that that X64 was crap
by crap I mean the 3 different people posting builds if I was to nominate one person to be the windows build-master it would be dayman because his builds are in my experience the most reliable (far more reliable then the `stable` build on the front-page other then the fact that there x64 which for me is a non issue but I was speaking in the tone from the POV of a new user looking for a decent build because the 'stable' builds ... well aren't
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

[quote="Onemoar"]
by crap I mean the 3 different people posting builds[/quote]
There are only 2 people providing builds. Me and Dayman.

[quote="Onemoar"]if I was to nominate one person to be the windows build-master it would be dayman because his builds are in my experience the most reliable (far more reliable then the `stable` build on the front-page other then the fact that there x64 which for me is a non issue but I was speaking in the tone from the POV of a new user looking for a decent build because the 'stable' builds ... well aren't
[/quote]
Nope, this has nothing to do with the compiler. Even if he built the official stable series the same problems would occur. Bugs in the code aren't fixed by a simple switch to a different compiler.
Onemoar

Post by Onemoar »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
[quote="Onemoar"]
by crap I mean the 3 different people posting builds[/quote]
There are only 2 people providing builds. Me and Dayman.

[quote="Onemoar"]if I was to nominate one person to be the windows build-master it would be dayman because his builds are in my experience the most reliable (far more reliable then the `stable` build on the front-page other then the fact that there x64 which for me is a non issue but I was speaking in the tone from the POV of a new user looking for a decent build because the 'stable' builds ... well aren't
[/quote]
Nope, this has nothing to do with the compiler. Even if he built the official stable series the same problems would occur. Bugs in the code aren't fixed by a simple switch to a different compiler.
[/quote]
yes but switching to libtorrentSVN does and has corrected a few pretty big bugs I just don't get why there is more then one person doing builds all that ever does it lead to fragmentation
Dayman

Post by Dayman »

I guess me and sledge could make a unified release policy for the matter.

The main question would be if qBt git master builds should use libtorrent RC_0_16 branch.

And by the way, I only use RC_0_16 branch in experimental builds.
Onemoar

Post by Onemoar »

[quote="Dayman"]
I guess me and sledge could make a unified release policy for the matter.

The main question would be if qBt git master builds should use libtorrent RC_0_16 branch.

And by the way, I only use RC_0_16 branch in experimental builds.
[/quote]
well I look at it this way as far as libtorrent goes the pasted two 'stable releases' of lib-torrent have had some pretty client breaking buggs while the svn is patched rather quickly meaning that if there is a bug you can just roll a new release with the latest tree
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

In the official stable qbt releases I'll use the last libtorrent release unless the RC_0_16 branch has many more commits AND those commits fix serious bugs.
On the unofficial builds: Everyone can do whatever he wants. He can build with different compilers, for different architectures, for different qbt version/patches, use different libtorrent versions. These are unofficial builds and everyone can do whatever he wants, we cannot tell him not to post builds. If someone makes his own builds and hosts them, he can make them available to the general public. The only thing he has to do is to mark them as unofficial and state what each build contains.