Re: old version of qbitorrent

Post by Onemoar »

portable apps ./facedesk
and you wonder why I go off on users that make these "bug report posts"
krystine

Post by krystine »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
No the problem isn't that you use WinXP. The problem is that you are using qbittorrent from Portable Apps. You didn't make it clear in your previous post. That version isn't official and the problems you are seeing might be caused by that. Please do these 2 things:
1. Use the official qbittorrent 3.0.9 installer and report if it works.
2. If number 1 doesn't work please use the special build I mentioned earlier and report back. Link to special build(again)->http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php?topic=1820.0

[/quote]

Question: If I install the official qbittorrent 3.0.9, how can I transfer my Portable Apps-based torrent transfers over to the new installation so I can see if it messes up my transfer statuses like it did before? Are my torrent activities stored in any specific file or files?

I apologize for not adequately conveying that I use the Portable Apps qbittorrent version. In my original post's 5th paragraph I mentioned qBitTorrent-Portable and thought it would cover it.

@Tomaso
Short answer is "no" to all those things. I'll take a look into them.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

On Windows XP the official client creates/uses these folders:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\qBittorrent\BT_backup
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\qBittorrent\cache
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\qBittorrent\geoip
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\qBittorrent\nova
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\qBittorrent

Torrents and their state is saved in the files contained in BT_backup
You should find these folders in the "Data" folder of you Portable Apps installation.
nontech

Post by nontech »

Seems to be having the same problems as some who upgraded to v3.0.9

System:-
Lenovo 3000 Y400 1.6GHz duo core.
Firewall: Comodo configured to allow torrents.
Antivirus: Avira

Been running v3.0.6 for some time and it works fine.
Updated to v3.0.9 recently and torrents will run for <5 minutes and stalls.
Reverted to v3.0.6 and torrents are working fine again.
Plus when QB is running, Firefox stalls (default browser), IE seems to work better, Chrome is OK.
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

[quote="nontech"]
when QB is running, Firefox stalls (default browser), IE seems to work better, Chrome is OK.
[/quote]

Sounds exactly like the kind of problem you get on a system where tcpip.sys is unpatched.
Read my previous post in this thread on how to fix it.
nontech

Post by nontech »

[quote="Tomaso"]
Sounds exactly like the kind of problem you get on a system where tcpip.sys is unpatched.
Read my previous post in this thread on how to fix it.
[/quote]

Thanks.
Amended tcpip as recommended. Browsers working fine now.
IPv6 installed prior to this.
Would increasing the tcpip be a security risk in any way?
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

[quote="nontech"]
Would increasing the tcpip be a security risk in any way?
[/quote]

As I understand it, increasing the connection limit is not a security risk for the computer in question per se.
The limit was introduced by M$ to reduce the capabilities of malware on already infected computers..
Specifically to slow down the speed of which they spread, and to prevent them from performing effective DoS attacks.
humpty

Post by humpty »

I can install 3.0.9. But it won't run, just kills itself (task manager) before even showing. Back to 3.0.8 with no problems.
Same problem wether official or portableapps or 'special' (libt-0.16.8) versions. And what's with the huge 40mb .pdb file in 3.0.9?

XP-SP3. (never ever going to win7).
loki

Post by loki »

pdb file is for the built-in Windows debugging, it's actually a lot smaller on the 64-bit version (currently 12.5MB), this was decided to include in all future Windows builds to facilitate better bug reporting.
Although, has there been an actual bug report from these versions? Or was it essentially wasted?

Also, just FYI official "extended" support on XP ends April 8, 2014... you may consider updating before then otherwise you'll notice everything else passing you by, including support for older systems/OS's.
Onemoar

Post by Onemoar »

patching tcpi is completely unnecessary on windows xp and windows 7 SP1 its completely illrelavent and anyone that refuses to upgrade to windows 7 (provided that they can run it) is a fool
everyone having issues with QBT seems to be running xp and I personally won't be brothered to figure out whats gone and broken on 12 year old hardware running a 10 year old os and frankly neither should the QBT devs as its probably something with lib-torrent anyway 
PROTIP: xp is going on 10 years old either upgrade your systems or live with outdated software make a choice
Last edited by Onemoar on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

As long as I have XP, it will be supported. Old hardware? pfff please so what? It doesn't suddenly make it unsuitable for networking or other stuff just because it is old. The same goes for the software. From a developers point of view the API hasn't changed much, so you can easily support multiple versions with the right tools(qt, libtorrent, boost). Yes most of them are XP users but there is one Windows 7 user on the other thread. Also my research shows that this is a threading issue, which could easily manifest on the other platforms(even on linux) somewhere along the way. Finally, XP doesn't have a negligible market share yet.

(My senses tell me, that an OS war is brewing in this thread :D )
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Haha nice :D.. Im wondering why I never have any of the issues that are reported here, outside the I/O error from 3.0.8. Not only this topic but others too. Im running W7 32bit currently (sledge's official build) and 64bit on laptop (Dayman's build) im yet to find something. I've ran your build for a week straight sledge and its very stable. And that makes me think that the problem is somewhere else mainly, or if you confirm the bug then im sure it is within lib or qBittorrent. People coming here with their stalled problem for example; using proxy or strong ip filter or the ports are not properly open or even using portable versions and then blaming the client for it, I can make a whole list of this topics really. Many things can be fixed by the user itself sometimes I get the idea. Even then I try to help if I can, doesn't matter which OS they are running.

As for the OS; I would advice anyone to use W7 if their hardware can run it. With the right tweaks its as fast as XP, maybe even faster. I get it if someone says ''I would never update to Windows 8'' but not to W7 makes me think. Not saying that XP is bad not at all (still being updated) but I should advice to take the step to W7 sooner or later.
Last edited by Nemo on Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

[quote="Onemoar"]
patching tcpi is completely unnecessary on windows xp and windows 7 SP1 its completely illrelavent[/quote]
Really?
It seemed to fix the problem that nontech was having:
http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php?topi ... 77#msg6077
..Also, I've experienced this problem first hand, so there's no point in discussing it any further..
It works!

[quote="Onemoar"]
everyone having issues with QBT seems to be running xp[/quote]
BS!
I'm running the official v3.0.9 build under WinXP32/SP3, and I haven't run into a single problem with it!
There's just as many problems with v3.0.9 reported under Win7.
Some examples:
* No uTP connetions - Reported under Win7 - No such problem for me.
* Torrents won't start - Reported under Win7 - No such problem for me.
* qBittorrent process hangs on exit - Reported under Win7 - No such problem for me.
* Can't contact trackers - Reported under Win7 - No such problem for me.

[quote="Onemoar"]I personally won't be brothered to figure out whats gone and broken on 12 year old hardware running a 10 year old os and frankly neither should the QBT devs[/quote]
Luckily, QBT devs doesn't only prioritize the needs of about 44% of the users, but they try to cover everyone:
http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating ... pcustomd=0
Say no more..
tekko

Post by tekko »

@ Tomaso
Well said.
tekko

Post by tekko »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
As long as I have XP, it will be supported. Old hardware? pfff please so what? It doesn't suddenly make it unsuitable for networking or other stuff just because it is old. The same goes for the software. From a developers point of view the API hasn't changed much, so you can easily support multiple versions with the right tools(qt, libtorrent, boost). Yes most of them are XP users but there is one Windows 7 user on the other thread. Also my research shows that this is a threading issue, which could easily manifest on the other platforms(even on linux) somewhere along the way. Finally, XP doesn't have a negligible market share yet.

(My senses tell me, that an OS war is brewing in this thread :D )
[/quote]

I hope you'll be on XP for a longer time then, many people would be benefited. :D