qBittorrent System Requirements

Windows specific questions, problems.
qRegret

qBittorrent System Requirements

Post by qRegret »

Could someone please point me to where qBittorrent's system requirements are described, I do not seem to be able to find them anywhere.

QBR.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Re: qBittorrent System Requirements

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

There aren't any.
I mean it is pretty lightweight and it should run smoothly on all modern PCs. Why do you ask?
loki

Post by loki »

I don't know if there is an official list for system requirements, and this would probably differ on what OS you use... since you're in the Windows section and if you're running at least Win XP (the lowest officially supported OS), plus HDD space, you must be meeting at least minimum system requirements.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

XP will be EOL in one year. Until then, just use an older uTorrent. Like 1.6.1 or the early 2.xx versions. (Filehippo helps.)
They have no ads, lightweight, fast.

I mean, qBittorrent is fast too, but uTorrent *was* micro back then. So if you are low on resources, it's the best choice for XP.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

>XP will be EOL in one year

That doesn't mean I'll stop providing builds for XP :p

>I mean, qBittorrent is fast too, but uTorrent *was* micro back then. So if you are low on resources, it's the best choice for XP.

I don't know how light was utorrent 1.x.x, but qbittorrent on my machine uses ~35MB to 40MB RAM. Is it light enough?

@op

Just test it. If it doesn't fit you, tell us and we'll see what we can do.
qRegret

Post by qRegret »

I was actually referring specifically to the runtime libraries that are required.  I wish I had known about the dependencies before downloading/installing.

QBR
qRegret

Post by qRegret »

I should also note that I was able to avoid the dependency issue by installing v2.9.7.
QBR.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Nothing. Download the installer, and it installs everything you may need.

@Sledge: Yeah I know, it's just ... uTorrent eats like 1-5mb? or less?
I don't know HOW limited his resources are. If it's a decent machine, then qBt is nothing much, he can run it perfectly.
(I used it on an Atom, and uT is faster. Heck of course, it's written in native C and using Windows native calls. But again, if it's better than an Atom, it should be able to run it swift.)
qRegret

Post by qRegret »

[quote="shiki"]Nothing. Download the installer, and it installs everything you may need.[/quote]

Actually on a fresh install of Windows XP/SP2 (with Internet Explorer 8 and VirtualBox Additions only), an installation of qBittorrent v3.0.10 accepting all defaults, makes no mention of any dependencies during the installation.  At the end of installation if  I leave the "Launch qBittorrent" box checked and click "Finish" I get absolutely nothing, the installer simply exits.  Launching the application from the Start Menu I then get "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.  Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."  Reinstalling the application does not fix it.  Manually downloading and installing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) subsequently allows qBittorrent to be launched.

I guess I may as well add that I am running on a Core2 Duo @ 2.2Ghz & 1G RAM.  This machine also serves as a file and print server, backup server via WinSCP scripting, backup MX server using hMailServer, as well as Asterisk, DHCP, and DNS via a Debian guest inside a VirtualBox container.  The entire system is also encrypted with TrueCrypt which adds a little extra overhead too I guess.

QBR.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Oh, sorry. (I only used qB since Win7).
That machine is heavily overloaded. At least on the memory side.
Grab some used modules from ebay or something. :)
Dayman

Post by Dayman »

[quote="qRegret"]
Manually downloading and installing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) subsequently allows qBittorrent to be launched.
[/quote]

Hmm. I thought official installer was using completely static linkage.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

[quote="Dayman"]
[quote="qRegret"]
Manually downloading and installing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) subsequently allows qBittorrent to be launched.
[/quote]

Hmm. I thought official installer was using completely static linkage.
[/quote]

Yes, I thought so too. wtf!?!?! I need to investigate and correct this ASAP.
loki

Post by loki »

Probably because 99.9% of people do or have installed this visual c++ redistributable package at some point. Or even if it's brought from windows updates. It's a 6MB (or less) installation!

I have x86 and x64 versions... about 4 of each actually I assume these are patches.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

The point of me doing a statically linked binary(no dlls) was to avoid depending on MSVC2008 dlls. Because they need to be installed on end machines. Up until now, I thought that it worked. Obviously I have overlooked something.
qRegret

Post by qRegret »

[quote="shiki"]That machine is heavily overloaded. At least on the memory side.[/quote]

Actually this little server runs pretty well... it is Windows Server 2003 STD/SP2 (the virtual machine I use for testing is XP/SP2) and doesn't have any memory issues yet.  The other applications are also pretty lean and the only big disappointment for me so far is hMailServer's .NET requirement.

[quote="loki"]Probably because 99.9% of people do or have installed this visual c++ redistributable package at some point[/quote]

If I may make a request... I would like to suggest that if qBittorrent is going to depend on the run time library going forward, that either it be clearly announced on the download page (perhaps with a download link) or that the installation process be clear about the dependency and give users an opportunity to cancel the install if they wish to (before it gets installed).  I know all too well that things like .NET, JRE, VClibs, and other common dependency packages are very frequently installed without a second thought, but there really are those of us who make an effort to steer clear of them when possible.

QBR.